Notices

Day the third

Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day the third

Hello all, Day three here of not drinking. A 'low bottom' who has tried to quit for good many times and only succeeded in short breaks, I am determined this time. I am attending AA (twice in three days) and am determined to keep it simple. Pick up one drink and the old roller coaster starts again and lasts until I somehow pull out of it all with my nerves screaming and my body feeling battered to hell. I'm not sure how many more times I can do that. I hope I don't have to find out.

Withdrawal is easing - actually I have been surprised how little of that I have had. Its been worse in the past, though I am feeling flat and lethargic today. Lovely summer weather is helping.

No AA meeting available locally today but I shall attend one tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't need luck- just keep working it Border

D
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3!

I also did not have many issues with the withdrawal this time. Last night though I was really sleepy and lethargic too. I barely made it through work and did not go to my AA meeting.

I hope today I have some picked up energy. I have been doing pretty good so either it a new wave of fatigue or I was just plain tired.

How are the AA meetings going for you? Have you picked up a Big Book yet? When meetings are not available you can always read some of it and of course there is always SR
Old 06-05-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I should have said 'high bottom' in the OP. don't know what I was thinking! No great train wrecks in my life, just the gradual erosion of the good things in life by the continual and increasing dependence on alcohol and the mental and physical results of that.

Gracie: I am an atheist which means AA presents issues for me. I'm glad to say that here in the UK the religious element isn't perhaps as big as in the USA, and the group I have joined seems to see the 'higher power' thing as much in terms of group support as anything spiritual, which is good for me.

I intend to 'take what I need' as they say. So far it has been very helpful.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 3 days!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Border!
3 days sober is awesome, yuo can do this!!!

V xx
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Border!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Border View Post
I should have said 'high bottom' in the OP. don't know what I was thinking! No great train wrecks in my life, just the gradual erosion of the good things in life by the continual and increasing dependence on alcohol and the mental and physical results of that.
Me too. I did not have one major factor that jumped out and said that is enough. It was a combination of many things over the years and the continued decline. I finally gave in and gave up trying to fight against it.

Originally Posted by Border View Post
Gracie: I am an atheist which means AA presents issues for me. I'm glad to say that here in the UK the religious element isn't perhaps as big as in the USA, and the group I have joined seems to see the 'higher power' thing as much in terms of group support as anything spiritual, which is good for me.

Step two mentions this very thing. Believing in something bigger than ourselves in many cases is the AA group itself.

I am glad it has been helpful.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Congrats on your sober time Bolder

Originally Posted by Border
I am an atheist which means AA presents issues for me. I'm glad to say that here in the UK the religious element isn't perhaps as big as in the USA, and the group I have joined seems to see the 'higher power' thing as much in terms of group support as anything spiritual, which is good for me.

As an atheist AA member, the "take what is helpful and leave the rest alone" guideline have helped me be relieved from alcoholism. The following links have information about what other Atheist/Agnostic AA'ers have done to relieve their alcoholism.

AA Agnostica
AA Agnostics of the San Franscisco Bay Area
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Congrats on Day 3 Border!
I'm working my way through Day 5. I'm a "high bottom" myself terrified of a train wreck around the next corner.
I'm glad you have found support that resonates with you in AA. I have tried that route myself previously before and had some difficulties with it. I am not an atheist, in fact I am currently exploring Christianity with great interest. But I do have a problem sometimes with dogma and a checks and balances approach to religion or perhaps, AA. I am not ruling it out so early in this go with sobriety as I find "community and support" crucial to healing. I just wish people wouldn't jam their perspectives down my throat. I wish I could attend a meeting..and like you say..."take what I need and leave the rest". I'm not bashing at all...it's wonderful for so many...just wish I could find a group or even a church with which I resonate with. I love to ponder possibilities and weed wisdom from all sources and faiths. I'm not a one size fits all kind of individual.. I'm just rambling here.
Just wishing to stumble upon some sort of group of comfort and inspiration somewhere...so far, SR is what I got.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

Three days is awesome!