Notices

Just pushing...

Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just pushing...

Just pushing 60 days and I've had major cravings today and honestly the only thing stopping me is the fact my husband has complete control over my $$ otherwise I probably would have given in my now
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hit major cravings around the 60 day mark but soon thereafter they decreased A LOT. Hang in there!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would think this is a normal part of sobriety. You have come so far - don't start again. Your body is still healing from the poison.

If anything, think back to the horrible events that alcohol did to your life and if you go backwards, you will be at day one again eventually.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have two and a half years sober and just moved to a new state with more alcoholics than any other state. And I've had cravings lately.
The thing that's saving me is thinking that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.
If I have that first drink all bets are off. I'm an alcoholic and I've never had one drink in my life. It's all or nothing for me.

Yesterday I really had to ignore the alcoholic voice. I wanted to go to a bar. I thought it through carefully and just remembered what a drunk I am. I'd be laying in bed right now with the horesemen of fear, anxiety and regret filling my head.

You may have cravings, but that's all they are. You do NOT have to act on them. Be strong. Join AA, pray, whatever you have to do. The cravings will pass and you never have to have another day one again. You can do it.
Come here and read and post. I understand, and I'm sure others here do, too.

Best to you, and hang in there.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

For some reason 30, 60, 90 days marks are tricky to many of us. I don't think it's merely coincidental that those are considered major milestones and celebrated in many recovery programs.

I felt like it was me losing sight of a familiar shore, still uncertain if I was ready to swim the open waters of recovery not knowing for certain what was on the other side.

Stay clean and sober. Just tell yourself you are doing this sobriety thing and stick with it. May mean white knuckling it for a few days but I promise you will NOT regret it. None of us regret staying sober. Think about that. We never regret staying sober...must be a good reason for it.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by jstanthrgrl31 View Post
Just pushing 60 days and I've had major cravings today and honestly the only thing stopping me is the fact my husband has complete control over my $$ otherwise I probably would have given in my now

nah, you have come too far now to let the addiction win. Why would you want to start over? Think about how horrible you will feel, not only physically, but your spirit and self esteem. As addicts, we have beaten ourselves down and one of the hardest things to overcome (which is why so many people struggle) is regaining confidence and feeling good about ourselves. Its hard enough to start recovery and be strong when you have the self esteem of a pine cone. I understand your struggles, but if you stick with this and see it through, and I will say, the first 90 days seem to be the most difficult, you will begin to see changes in yourself and life that you maybe never imagined possible. You have 60 days, which is 2 months. Be proud of it!!!! When you hear the voice of your addiction beckoning you back, realize its the addiction and its pissed its losing you. Like a wounded animal with its last burst of strength before it gives up. Stick with it and dont give in, because its not worth it. You are stronger than you know, so give yourself a chance.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
For some reason 30, 60, 90 days marks are tricky to many of us. I don't think it's merely coincidental that those are considered major milestones and celebrated in many recovery programs.

I felt like it was me losing sight of a familiar shore, still uncertain if I was ready to swim the open waters of recovery not knowing for certain what was on the other side.

Stay clean and sober. Just tell yourself you are doing this sobriety thing and stick with it. May mean white knuckling it for a few days but I promise you will NOT regret it. None of us regret staying sober. Think about that. We never regret staying sober...must be a good reason for it.

I love, LOVE the analogy with the swimming out into uncharted waters you said. That was pretty awesome. I am going to use this someday in the future. Thanks for the post!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Jstanthgrl31, I have followed your journey from the beginning. I am so proud of you. You've accomplished so much.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone I appreciate all I your insight to sobriety and addiction... I know I can't give in but it's so hard some days as you all know
Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You know I learned something recently about the cycle of addiction which includes..the rescuer, the persecuter and the victim. It was actually part of a codependency group I'm involved in. It fascinated that the addiction cycle encompasses these components and we cycle through them. We rescue ourselves by deciding to stop drinking (rescuer), we give in to temptation and the persecuter steps in (when we beat ourselves up to succumbing to the addiction) and then we are "victims" again. Sometimes we first feel "victimized" by life or someone or something and we ..justify drinking..think our "rescue" is in the "drink"..then the consequences fall into place..and we persecute ourselves all over again...ad nauseum.
Don't cave...don't start the cycle all over again. You've come so far. Revel in your success. Pat yourself on the back for 60 days of winning over and over and over again..being stronger...gettting better...building your sobriety muscle day after day.
You rock and you're soooo much further down the line than me...
I"m working my way through Day 5
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ha Ha Nighthawk I love "Self esteem of a pinecone"!!!! So true. Day 6 here so I'm feeling it. Humbled, like a pine cone on the sidewalk

Don't give up JSTANTHRGRIL31 !!! I am in awe of 60 days.