Notices

24 hours since my last drink

Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

24 hours since my last drink

Okay, so it's only been 24 hours since my last drink, but it's been a difficult time. I normally sleep with a bottle of vodka on the side of my bed, but I dumped it, and had a very difficult time getting to sleep. I feel shaky today, and am home alone, so it's very hard not to go out and buy some alcohol or open a bottle of wine from the fridge... Trying to keep my mind off of it by watching tv, but I can't seem to concentrate on the show. I really just want to cave in and have a drink... Just wanted to vent.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you're with us! The first few days can be rough - make sure to see your doctor if you start to feel too bad.

If you're looking to pass the time there is so much to read on SR. I spent hours and hours on here in the beginning - still do when needed!

You may also want to check out the arcade games - fun!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, are you on a computer? You can come chat with us in the chat room, maybe that would help
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I am on the computer, but the chat won't work... I reloaded java and everything.

I have been spending a lot of time on here reading people's stories, and it's helping a little... It's almost as if there's a void, and the craving is ridiculously strong.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 24 hours. Remember, you never have to drink again.
I can relate, I used to sleep with a beer next to my bed. Usualy a forty of malt liquor. I don't know if you've ever tasted warm malt liquor but it is repulsive. I drank it anyway. For days on end.

Take it one day at a time. Pour the booze out. Of course, I've poured out more booze than a normal drinker drinks in a year. Fourth day, feeling better, would go buy more, this went on ad infintum. Years.
I needed support and I've found it here. AA is a great idea, too.
Many of us have managed to put some sober time together here. You can do it too.

Best to you, and think that first drink through to the end. There is hope. I joined here like five and a half years ago, and have been sober two and a half. Took me awhile. Save yourself the misery because it only gets worse if you continue to drink.
There's a new life waiting for you and I hope you find it.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello,

I can relate, I couldn't get through a night without shaking and needing a drink so had to sleep with vodka next to me.

Please be aware of your body and withdrawal symptoms and go to a doc if you can!

Get out and walk, I find the not being able to concentrate on anything just gets worse if you sit thinking about it all the time.

All the best, and once past these few days it gets so much easier!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I am really trying to get my mind off it. I am going to work in a bit, so that should help. Even when I try to do other things (around the house or I've even ran some errands this morning) I still want to drink. I seriously hope this gets better...

As much as I don't want to, I am looking into meetings. I really think I need to go.

My big concern is that I am going on vacation next week. That's really worrying me, because I will be super tempted to drink.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would have never known how to get
sober on my own if I wasn't taught about
alcoholism, addiction to it and how it
affected my body, mind and soul from
those who had knowledge and tools to
pass on to me.

In fact, I didn't know I had an addiction
nor thought I was an alcoholic until red
flags flew high and my family sought
professional help so I wouldn't die.

It took a 28 day inpatiant rehab stay
along with a 6 week outpatient aftercare
program to kick start me into recovery
to learn to live a day at a time without
drinking.

My recovery journey began 22 yrs ago
on August 11, 1990. That has been a
many one days at a time added together
to get me where I am today. Happy, Honest,
and most of all sober.

I am so grateful for the abundant knowledge
there is available out there to help many of
us who have addictions. Knowledge and tools
to guide us and teach us ways to not drink
or use or gamble, or whatever addiction one
may have.

What also helped me a lot was, I found out
that I never, ever, have to go thru anything
in my life alone again. Whatever situation
I am in or problem I can't figure out, or something
I don't understand or know, then there is ALWAYS
someone who has been there or done that, that
can help me.

Staying sober with the fellowship of others
in the same boat as I is comforting and support
is tremendous. HUGE.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am finding quite a bit of information online, especially for meetings. I am really glad I found these forums.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It gets better surprisingly quick, at least for me. Get to day 5 you will probably notice a difference. I think a lot of people (myself included) go for years not getting past day 2-3 and that makes quitting much more intimidating because you have a distorted view of how hard it is.

The best thing I've learned when approaching quitting from day 1 is to accept insomnia. Not sit there in the dark with my eyes wide open trying to force sleep. I'd rather just keep my mind occupied--it wants to go a mile a minute so just let it--and though it makes for a tired first few days it's less stressful than tossing and turning.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rennet View Post
It gets better surprisingly quick, at least for me. Get to day 5 you will probably notice a difference. I think a lot of people (myself included) go for years not getting past day 2-3 and that makes quitting much more intimidating because you have a distorted view of how hard it is.

The best thing I've learned when approaching quitting from day 1 is to accept insomnia. Not sit there in the dark with my eyes wide open trying to force sleep. I'd rather just keep my mind occupied--it wants to go a mile a minute so just let it--and though it makes for a tired first few days it's less stressful than tossing and turning.
Day 2-3 is the hard part. This is probably my 3rd attempt already, but I can never make it past the first few days. I already am tempted to accept invitations to go out drinking with friends tonight...
Old 06-06-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Do you have friends who don t drink with whom you can make plans instead? Or you could get over your shyness and hit a meeting
Also as mentioned by another poster, it might not be a good idea to have booze in the fridge now. Yes at some point you ll have to live normally but right now you are very fragile. Dump it or give it away.
You might want to check out the Class of June and join. I got tremendous support in my own class from my peers.
Anyway, to SR and hang in there. WE can do it!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Do you have friends who don t drink with whom you can make plans instead? Or you could get over your shyness and hit a meeting
Also as mentioned by another poster, it might not be a good idea to have booze in the fridge now. Yes at some point you ll have to live normally but right now you are very fragile. Dump it or give it away.
You might want to check out the Class of June and join. I got tremendous support in my own class from my peers.
Anyway, to SR and hang in there. WE can do it!!!
I am in the June class!

I do have friends who don't drink or who will not drink if I'm not. But I also don't want to lose the ones that do drink...

I've dumped everything in the fridge that isn't mine. The rest is my family's. I live at home right now, and no one knows how bad I've gotten cuz I'm able to function normally.

I'm probably going to a meeting next week when my friend is with me. I'm really afraid to go alone.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know how your feeling. Been where you are many times. Unfortunately, withdrawal is something that needs to happen before you feel better. I would be awake for 3 for days bouncing off the walls wishing I could speed time up. Try to keep your mind busy. Post here, throw on a movie. Every hour that passes you are closely to feeling normal again.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you want to improve your chances for success, it would be a good idea to get rid of the alcohol around your house.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Still going strong though its killing me... Every ounce of alcohol is gone from my house, I even dumped what wasn't mine... Here's to (hopefully) a peaceful evening...
Old 06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Why don t you join us on that thread MMC? It helps http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ners-club.html
Old 06-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by mmc514 View Post
Okay, so it's only been 24 hours since my last drink, but it's been a difficult time. I normally sleep with a bottle of vodka on the side of my bed, but I dumped it, and had a very difficult time getting to sleep. I feel shaky today, and am home alone, so it's very hard not to go out and buy some alcohol or open a bottle of wine from the fridge... Trying to keep my mind off of it by watching tv, but I can't seem to concentrate on the show. I really just want to cave in and have a drink... Just wanted to vent.

Its going to suck at first, there is no getting around that fact. You have drank for how long? Well now its going to take some time for your system, brain, and body to heal and allow you to feel better. The thing is, alcoholism is a progressive disease, and left untreated, will be fatal. There is no getting around that, its just the way it is. So you will HAVE to deal with this in order to free yourself from the chains of addiction and to start living a better life. You CAN do this, I promise. It will suck, you will feel horrible and have many unpleasant side effects............but they dont last forever. Everytime you try and stop and fail, the next time will be worse, so why not knock this out of the park this time. Your addiction is telling you to cave in and drink, its not you. Dont let it win buddy!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Slipped up and had a drink last night.... Only one though, but that's all that was in the house. My brother bought a 6-pack... The rest were all gone, but I managed to get my hands on one... Being that it's Friday, it will be pretty tough when I go out to dinner tonight.