Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face New member

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and new to reaching out or any type of recovery resources.. I'm looking forward to all that is offered and really hoping that maybe this is the "missing piece" that I need. I am a a heroin addict and since Febuary I've really been trying to stay sober. I have done really well at times staying clean for up to 2 weeks at a time but I've always found myself right back to it and starting all over. I would really appreciate any words or advice that can be offered. I do not know what else to do or who to talk to so I'm here.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you want to stop using heroin and live the best life you can.

My suggestion is that stopping using the drug is just the beginning. I needed to make many fundamental changes in my life, including acknowledging my faults and recognizing the issues in my life that I had been in denial about.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I'm a drinker so I'm not familiar with heroin, but I would suggest considering an IOP group. I did a 20 day intensive outpatient group therapy and it's helped me greatly... mostly by getting out of isolation and getting around others with a similar addiction. And I learned a thing or two that I didn't know while there
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a really supportive and knowledgable place. I check in daily, even just to read, and it has been the extra step I needed to stay sober. I hope it is for you too!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome HIT. You will find non-judgmental support here. You should check out the "Substance Abuse" sub-forum; I'm sure there are a number of people there who have had experiences similar to yours.

Have you considered NA? Just attending meetings, without making a commitment might be a good idea. You could just sit and listen. I do this with AA, and I've found it helps.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR HangingInThere

D
Old 06-06-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us HanginIn. I'm sure you'll find the help & support you're looking for. I'm not familiar with drugs, but being here helped me stop a 30 yr. drinking habit. There are many caring people here who want to help. You're not alone.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you joined us. We have a forum just for substance abuse. Take a look and post your concerns for more insight from people who have been in your shoes.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you tried the vivitrol shot? It's very helpful for alcoholics and heroin addicts especially in the beginning when you crave it the most. It's basically what's keeping me from drinking until I can find other ways of dealing with it.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marcher

Welcome hangninthere! I used opiates and have been clean for nearly 3 months. I highly recommend sobriety, and this site is great for support. Stick around!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Hangninthere View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to the site and new to reaching out or any type of recovery resources.. I'm looking forward to all that is offered and really hoping that maybe this is the "missing piece" that I need. I am a a heroin addict and since Febuary I've really been trying to stay sober. I have done really well at times staying clean for up to 2 weeks at a time but I've always found myself right back to it and starting all over. I would really appreciate any words or advice that can be offered. I do not know what else to do or who to talk to so I'm here.

I have no experience with heroin, but I can tell you this site is a great place to meet people with similar struggles and to get some information. Its also a pretty good place to meet some cool people who are fun to talk to. I wish you the very best with your journey.