Notices

The repeatitive masterplan.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Barry,
Mate out story resembles mine , go read some of my old threads mate. I too had come to the conclusion that I couldn't beat this chronic affliction on my own. I identify with your story, scared to get out of bed. I used to lie wondering what have I done to deserve this life in utter depression. I realised I needed help too. I tried on my own in vain, training, self help books , staying in at weekends, I also didn't want to try aa I too aren't all that religious but mate , I no longer lie in bed utterly depressed Bout my life. I'm early days mate three months sober but Im happy in my sobriety. I went to ca and I am in Glasgow so if you wanna come through n hit a meeting with me it'd be an honour to take u with me. I understand the ******* wretched pain of all that life and its no good. I ain't depressed no more either and I'm enjoying life on life's terms , not a bed of roses but well better than before.

Last edited by miko67; 06-05-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think it's really good that you identified that you need a plan in order to stay sober. That is true for many of us. There are a number of programs available to help us steer a course of action for ourselves.

There is a secular section here on SR that goes in depth into programs that don't involve spirituality in recovery.

I do use 12 step (though not AA) in my recovery. My HP is sobriety itself. It's def more powerful than me drinking and drugging.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering

Barry

Great that you have a mutual friend who doesn't drink. I think that could help a great deal. They could help a really positive dynamic and you can maintain a valued friendship.

If you like sport then we have the tour de France starting at the end of the month. It's much more tactical than it first seems and once they enter the mountain stages it can be really cat and mouse. Might be worth you checking out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

He is back home in Ireland(the mutual friend), but luckily my partner has decided to support me by not drinking.

To be honest, since I moved back here I have been drinking heavily but not as socially, so I think that could be of help. I've withdrawn myself from sitting in the pub and the binges have been fewer and further between. But because I have been getting glimpses of normality it has been all the more devastating when the floodgates open and then I bottom out. Most of the friends I have made off my new course are not big drinkers, they have the occassional night out, but have a lot more going on that just boozing like my friends back home.

Tour De France isn't really my thing but I think I'll survive the summer with League of Ireland football, the MLS.... I'll just read up a bit more on it and bookmark some games.

Miko, I had a wee read through some of your posts and I can think we are similar in many ways, I've found myself relying on drugs at different points, I have a hugely addictive personality and just need to channel that energy into something constructive.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good luck Barry mate, I hope you find your way bro :-)
Old 06-05-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Having new healthy activities has helped me remain sober .

As an atheist myself, the following links provide me with all the guidelines I needed to make AA a positive experience. Maybe have quick look at them.
AA Agnostica
AA Agnostics of the San Franscisco Bay Area

I think being open to all recovery methods is very helpful. But in the last analysis "to own self be true" is age old wisdom to live by.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

P.S.

I found a great Free DBT Workbook in a pdf format (DBT is a type of CBT that incorporates mindfulness) online. I'm keeping a copy for myself. One can never have enough of recovery/better living skills. Hope I could help.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

P.S.

I found a great Free DBT Workbook in a pdf format (DBT is a type of CBT that incorporates mindfulness) online. I'm keeping a copy for myself. One can never have enough of recovery/better living skills. Hope I could help.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks very much, I'm having a wee read through it. I had a difficult day today, I was surprised I had one so early, I think I have been mourning the thought of losing certain aspects of my life and a little frightened of gaining others back. This forum is already helping me a great deal though. I enjoy the anonymity and having a focal point to call upon when the clouds begin to form and the pulse starts to race.