Notices

newcomer

Old 06-04-2013, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer

Im medically detoxing since last 30 the 30.th till today at home. im feeling better but im medicated. i tapering today and on the 5th and going to my center on the 7 unmedicated. i hope to return to work on the 7th. Im a bit nervous. sometime i think i should stay on librium but that probably my alcoholism speaking to me. anyway im happy to be hear and listen. hopefully it will help me stay clean.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

why are you tapering if you are detoxing? it's difficult to detox when we still drink. I thought that librium was used for the detoxing *while not drinking?

I wish you well on your sober journey
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are here welcome to the family
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I wish you well on your sober journey.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Assuming you are doing this under medical supervision, what does your doctor recommend? Remember that it's perfectly acceptable for you to question why your treatment is going as it is, and also ask about alternatives to the medication or reductions/complete removal of said medications. I was also under the impression that librium was usually prescribed to prevent withdrawal symptoms after you quit drinking, so not quite sure what you mean by the taper - are you tapering off the librium, or tapering off alcohol while taking librium?

Either way, welcome to SR, there is much support here during your intial detox and onto recovery. Read lots and ask lots of questions!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you sugarbear1 and good morning. Im not tapering off alcohol. that wouldn't work for me me in a million years. Probably been trying that for the past 16 years.
I have not drank since June 30 at about 4:00 am when i was preparing to go to Kaiser for help. I always woke up at 4 sick and shaking. So of course I drank. like any rational person would have a problem with.

Im tapering off Librium. beginning today and tomorrow. Doctor wants me off by Thursday completely.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

instant, least and ScottFromWI thank you for the welcome.

im sorry i must have used taper incorrectly. I'm being weaned off the Librium.

Im feeling much better. only tiny shaking in my hands, no panic, no desire to drink. but that scares me. how will i feel with out the Librium. Will the panic return. will i be overcome with the need to drink? I week ago i could not go 4 hours with out a pint of whisky. and about a liter a day. Im just really scared of life after this deteox.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR yankle! You are no longer alone.

I was terrified of life without my 'buffer' - I had used alcohol to cope for so many years. After a brief period of feeling odd without it, I grew to love truly experiencing life rather than just phoning it in. I never thought anything would be fun again - but I was living in a numb and foggy state - not really feeling things the way we're meant to.

Once the alcohol was out of my system I didn't panic - it was just a matter of learning to live in a new way. It's all worth it. You've done a great thing by reaching out for a life of sobriety. I think it'll really help you to be here - glad you found us.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, yankle. Glad you are here.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was on 3 x25mb of librium every four hours (i even dosed at 4:00 because thats when i would wake sick and drink) for 3 days.
I dont wake at 4 any more and I've been taken 2 every 4 hours.
today I'm reducing further and took 1 at 9 am and felt good. i actually went to get coffee which i love but while drinking i had no time for it and could not deal with public places.
I went to petco and started to feel agitated. this was about 12:00 noon. I took 2 25mg.
My next dose will be at 6:00 pm and plan to take 1. ill try not to take an evening one.
tomorrow i go to kaiser to see my counselor. ill only take one or two all day.

two questions: when i go to work (hopefully) thursday will i detox from the Librium?

is the doctor going to want to give me more?

i want no more of the Librium. i think about it too much. But i also dont want to be having withdrawal while at work. Doc says it stays in your system even if you have not taken it so you wont withdrawal because i took it less that a week.Do you guys think that true?

Im an addict. ill obsess on any drug they give me. i want it to end.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Yankle - welcome

It against our rules to give medical advice - I think you really need to speak to the Dr. Even if we had the expertise, none of us know your present conditions or clinical history anyway

D