Notices

Physical pain

Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Marcher

My experience in withdrawal from pain meds: my doctor prescribed neurontin during w/d. It's non-addictive, non-narcotic, helped me with pain, along with ibuprofen, and it helped with anxiety and sleep somewhat. I only took it for 6 weeks and I've been virtually pain free since. There is real pain in recovery. That being said, it sounds like you have more possibly going on with your body. I'm assuming your doctor knows about your addiction and recovery, so insist she not give you anything to jeopardize that. You are doing so well! You can manage this!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just a thought but might a TENS machine work? They are easy to get hold of.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

MLC:

I've been to a couple doctors, granted only an ER doc once and our family doc, but i have assorted physical pain and tinglings, etc since I stopped. Nothing appears to be physically wrong with me from a bloodwork or exam standpoint, i chalk some of it up to my nerves just actually feeling again after being pickled and numbed by alcohol for so many years. That an the anxiety really bothers me at times, but i don't really want to start taking any anxiety meds and getting back into the loop again. I usually just tough it out without taking anything. Best of luck and hopefully the Doc can find something to help you out.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I suffer from chronic pain and am in recovery. I encourage you to be completely candid with your doctor and applaud you for seeking medical advice appropriately.

For me, meditation is the most powerful tool I have and while I encourage others to try meditation for a variety of reasons, I hesitate to suggest it without a caveat here. I have meditated for many years - even before I was in pain and so it may be easier for me to reach a state in meditation that has pain tolerating effects. I mention this because worse than the pain is the constant hoping that x,y,z will work and to end up disappointed when it fails was almost worse than the pain itself.

The other method is going to sound silly but it is something very easy to introduce into your life and will take no more than 30 minutes over the next month - that's one minute a day for thirty days (give it thirty days) and might even be less. It's going to sound silly but what the heck... you might get desperate enough to try it.

First thing I do in the morning when I slide out of bed is to go to my bathroom mirror, look in it, take my two index fingers and push up the corners of my mouth into a smile - then release and try to hold the smile. If it falls, pick it back up. Repeat as necessary. You'll be genuinely smiling if not laughing before a minute is up. Laughter has been proven to have an effect on the immune system and pain fighting for up to three days. It's silly and it's something small...but for the cost to effectiveness ratio I know of nothing better.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am at day24 and the pain is horrible!! Not real sure what to do about it but wait.....it seems to be another withdrawal symptom or so I have been told. I did go on the meds for pain and only used them for pain. I didn't abuse them they just stopped working. I am hoping I will learn how to deal with it without meds. From what I have read on other sights this is common. Hopefully this helps with your struggles to know you are not alone. Time will heal all I HOPE!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No suggestions here either but I hope you feel better soon. Maybe go ahead and have that lump removed.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Definitely see your doctor about the lump- it could be impinging on a nerve in which case getting it removed would help your pain. I was in a bad car accident and have a lot of neck & shoulder problems and have found some relief from physical therapy, an at home tens unit (lent to me by my dr.) and Robaxin (which is a muscle relaxer without recreational properties) and ibuprofen along with heat. I have pretty bad anxiety as well & have found that the Robaxin does calm me down slightly too which is a good side effect for me, but not in a benzo way or in a way that I would be tempted to take more. I have read that a lot of people on opiates for pain find that their pain increases for a few weeks & then actually gets better than when they were on pills! I have noticed that the few times that I have taken opiates for it my pain (presecribed by my dr. but weirdly they actually give me bad anxiety) is actually a lot worse the next day, so I do think there is some truth to it. Hope you are feeling better, my heating pad has become my best friend!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My anxiety is definitely worse post Benzos and opiates. For sure. I am thinking this is related to my lump. I'm seeing the doc in two days so I will ask. Hubby is worried they will throw pills at me and we will be back to square one so I have asked him to come with me. Not looking forward to the stress of going to hospital.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and comments. Sorry to anyone who has pain
Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful

Hi MLC,

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow for a possible torn rotator cuff. I injured it last Thursday and thought it was just a pulled muscle. It's been a week and the pain has gotten worse to the point I have to do something about it. I got addicted to opiates after my 1st heart surgery in 2004 for 2 years. I had bad lower back problems a few years ago and the doctor recommended a TENS unit since opiates were not a good option. I was amazed at how much relief I got from it. I might try it on my shoulder after I see the doctor (I need to buy more pads), but I know opiates are not a good solution for me. It even crossed my mind right after I made the appointment and I just laughed at my addictive voice, he wasn't even trying to be subtle about it. I hope you get it all sorted out...here is a link to explain what a TENS unit is if you don't already know.

Edit to add that TENS units require a prescription from a doctor. Since my back doctor already prescribed me one that is why I said I might use it on my shoulder AFTER seeing my doctor tomorrow. I will only use it if he OK's it and thinks it will help.

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ouch. From what I have seen with clients through the years rotator cuff injuries really hurt.

I'm familiar with tens but haven't used one. I will go to doc and then go from there.

My av says....well I'm not allowed paracetamol so the only option the doc will have is to give me oxy...ha!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

After quitting opiates I was extremely sore for about a week or so.I felt like I got hit by a bus every morning trying to get out of bed.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sux

This is pain I have had for years now. It just went away for awhile on the drugs. Now it's back.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Grateful

MLC,

If your doc does think opiates is what you need make sure you let hubby keep them and only give you them as prescribed. I had my 2nd heart surgery after I got off of the opiates and I was given IV morphine and IV fentanyl after surgery and was sent home with vicoden. My mom kept them and doled them out sparingly. I'm going to try and tough this shoulder pain out for now.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi MLC, have you ever thought of acupuncture?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yeah that's a good idea. I have had it quite a few times before but not for this. Ta
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
So now that I am clean and sober, all my physical pain has come back. For years I have had burning rib pain,back pain and chest pain and a lump bigger than a cricket ball under my arm (not cancerous.)

I'm really not sure what to do about it. I am definitely not asking for medical advice and am gojng to see a doctor on Thursday about it. But I know I cannot take anything with an opiate in it (though it is majorly tempting.). I am wondering what people have found that might help with pain but not give me a high or feeling of relaxation.

Just want to be armed with ideas and info when I see the doc.

Also, my heart is still playing up alot. Racing and palpitations. I think that's still the benzo withdrawal so can live with it.
Have you ever considered physical activity? Something athletic that can build up your endorphin and serotonin levels, while helping your body function better? I swear, working up a sweat is one of the best things in my life. It clears my mind, releases anxiety, and I feel so much better. Im odd, I have always loved working out, so I am a tad biased, lol. Something to consider, even something like Yoga or walking, anything to get out of your head and allow your body to move. Its a natural pain reliever and can also really help with withdrawal.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Absolutely!! The withdrawals are still too bad at the moment. Even vacuuming and mopping wipes me out and makes the symptoms worse. I've been a gym instructor and personal trainer for 10 years so its in my blood. I miss it so much and can't wait to get back into it.