Notices

I need to stop hurting my family.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop hurting my family.

I think I have finally lost all trust from my husband. He has been so patient with me, but I feel if I don't completely take alcohol out of my life, that I will lose him and that scares me to death. My daughter is also starting to notice when I have had too much (which is every time I drink).

I have tried to stop many times, but I NEED to make this time count.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome, anchorbird!

i am new here, too... and i've found that SR is a great source of inspiration, hope and encouragement. glad you found your way here.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome
there is much help offered for the drunk such as myself
so as to get and stay sober

find what helps and works for you
set your course and stay sober with the help of God

recommended

prayer
reading of the AA Big Book
possible AA meeting attendance
Christian Support groups
this site and others like it
church
bible studies
exercise
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are ready to stop drinking for good, then we're here to offer support.

It's really hard when we see the people in our lives losing faith and trust in us. But, you don't have to continue to live this way.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you find help today!! You don't have to live like this!! Stop the insanity today!! You're in my thoughts and prayers!! It gets better, never give up!!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi anchorbird. There's no doubt in my mind that you can stop. I say that because I did, after drinking my whole life. I had to be ready - and it sounds like you're tired of the sad and unpredictable way you've been living. Do it for you - and everything else will fall into place. We are here to listen and help.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome anchor congrats on wanting to make a change! I too had a fed up husband 8 weeks ago today was my bottom literally knocked myself out from a 5 foot fall. I too have daughters.
Today I am a happy ( most of the time) sober mommy and wife. SR has been more support than I could have ever imagined. Keep posting and good wishes to you
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. This is usually the time of day when I get that craving to drink, but I'm pushing through it!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome anchor. Pushing through the cravings is tough, and a good start. Drinking was completely woven into the fabric of my life too, and I was fortunately able to quit before I lost my family and job, even though I did lose some trust from my wife. But the good news is that if you can truly dedicate yourself to sobriety, all of those wounds will heal over time. It won't be tomorrow, or next week - but a good solid track record of sobriety means not only a lot to you - but everyone around you. Keep reading and let us know how we can help.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR anchorbird
Do you have a plan?

D
Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The first days of sobriety are the roughest, but you can do it. I am at 8 weeks and feel 100% better. Please continue with your desire for sobriety because when you feel better you will not want to go through it again.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Anchorbird!

It sounds like you have all of the motivation you need to quit drinking. I, too, lost a lot of trust from my husband and I also have young kids. One drink always led to another and another...we know how that ends. Since this past fall I have had several failed attempts, but I am happy to tell you that today I finally have 30 days sober through the help of SR, AA, and an outpatient program. Every time I would have a slip I would start over at Day 1 thinking through my past mistake and what I would do differently this time to ensure success.

Best wishes to you, there is a ton of support here. Hugs, PG
Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by anchorbird View Post
I think I have finally lost all trust from my husband. He has been so patient with me, but I feel if I don't completely take alcohol out of my life, that I will lose him and that scares me to death. My daughter is also starting to notice when I have had too much (which is every time I drink).

I have tried to stop many times, but I NEED to make this time count.

Unless you do it for yourself, and yourself only...........it tends not to work. That is great you are considerate of your family, but why do YOU want to change? Why do you want to get sober? This sounds stupid, but take a paper and pen and write a list of some of the things you miss about your old, sober life. Who you were, the way you felt, and things like that. What are you now missing in your life due to your addiction? What is alcoholism currently robbing you of? If you make it about you, then the drive becomes stronger and you are more likely to succeed.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I made it through day one with the help of an AA meeting. I am SO glad that I went and it was nice waking up today feeling rested (although I sweat like crazy through the night). Here's to day 2!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

way to go, anchorbird!!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Maybe genuinely ask for his help. Hold yourself accountable to him and your daughter. Let them know when you are weak and need a diversion. Cravings are fleeting, family isn't.