Notices

Question about aa

Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovered

Ahhh, researching AA on the internet (instead of checking it out for yourself). You will find what you are looking for. I for one don't trust people and needed to see this cult for myself and form my own opinions....

I am so grateful for the CULT of AA!!! Since being a sheeple brainwashed member of this thing, I have never been happier and I haven't picked up a drink or a drug in 4 years. Pass the Kool-Aid!!!! Grape is my favorite flavor.

(Ie: I am a non-praying, non-theist, non-conformist. AA saved my life and can save yours, too. The word "powerless" is only mentioned in the first part of the first step. I am EMpowered now that I have taken the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.)

Cheers
Old 06-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

AA is keeping me sober. And to be honest, my brain needs a good washing!
I don't feel brain washed at all. Try a meeting. The choice to stay or leave is all up to you.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Question about aa

Originally Posted by Doogie92 View Post
Ok so I was doing some research on aa (I've never been) and I read some things saying its basically like a cult that brainwashes you into thinking you are powerless and will fail miserably if you don't keep attending aa everyday. I understand tht youu have to believe you are powerless over alcohol and im ok with that, but im not really ok with some group telling me i have no personal control and power over my own life it gives me the creeps. Also I've heard going to aa is like trading one addiction for another. Also what about other recovery programs? Aadac or anything else I could try?
AA has kept me sober and sane for nearly 24 yrs. So what is your question ??

Why don't you attend an open meeting there ... see if your research is valid or deeply flawed.

Yes, I believe they brainwashed me but it was alright ... my brain needed washing anyway.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-03-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

my brain needed a power washing
Old 06-03-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Why I dig AA

Other than saving my life here are more reasons why I dig AA meetings . And reasons I hope it gives you hope .

AA provides a haven for the truly down and out who often have no place else to spend a an hour or so of their day .

You can even go to an AA meeting in jail .

What you do for a living doesn't matter to anyone in AA .No one is put on a pedestal .

Nobody is in charge . Our leaders are but trusted servants .

It allows fellowship amongst folks with similar problems and similar outlooks on life .

People can fairly easily get back a sense of self worth and self importance through service work if they are willing .

Making coffee in AA is a highly respectable job .

AA provides a sounding board for those who may feel they have been forgotten by the rest of the world . I know I felt forgotten for awhile .

It can help people with their social skills, public speaking skills and relationships can and are developed .

AA gives us simple problem solving skills like prayer, The Big Book with all it's wisdom and guidance from others which are easy enough solutions for me .

It provides a real escape for people who are facing real life problems such as unemployement, poverty, sadness. It takes us out of ourselves if only for an hour .

AA only has one requirement for membership, a desire to stop drinking, any and all are welcome into it's rooms .

In AA we can identify with others like ourselves and it provides a measure of hope .

We find a a place of acceptance which is almost surreal .

We hear people speak from their hearts about their flaws openly and honestly .

We are not judged, in fact no one even bat's an eyelash when we talk about the terrible things we did .

AA offers a place of refuge for those who feel hopeless and have no where else to go .

We can choose whatever conception of God we like .

You can not be kicked out of AA. Even if you leave . You are always welcome back .

I don't have to be a rocket scientist to approach and apply the steps to my life, just willing .

All the coffee you can drink and sometimes some donuts too!!

It provides a social outlet with monthly gatherings such as dances, picnics, softball games without the temptation to drink .

It taught me how to smile again .

It helps me stay away from a drink one day at a time .

I gave everything away to alcohol and AA gave me back myself .

I really did find hope and that was just the beginning .
Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful

I think most alcoholics that finally found something that helped to keep them sober would be enthusiastic about it. That doesn't make it a cult. I love my Honda Civic and recommend it to other people all the time, but it's not the only way to get around. I also test drove it before I bought it.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Aa

I didn't like AA at first. I tried it a few times. Give it a try. There are some very nice people at the meetings. The old guys can bore you with there memories. But There are a lot of newcomers now days. I like going now.
Good luck
Diana
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grandma3333 View Post
The old guys can bore you with there memories.
I'm finding that more than a few recoverying alcoholics aren't particularly good at telling a coherent and succinct story Still, there is usually a pearl of wisdom in every story; some speakers just seem to take forever to reveal it.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Doogie

The debate about AA will probably go on far after I am long gone. Only you can decide how you want to approach your recovery and there are lots of options. Have a look at them all and try them out. The only bad plan is no plan at all.

I am not sure the motto of AA is "there is no other way" but rather the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking...that's it , no dues , fees , oaths , promises , need to lose all your other friends or family or cult like activities from my experience. There are lots of differing viewpoints in my local AA meetings though most folks have used the suggested steps to make their recovery.

Like any group of people , I looked to the people who had success to help me. Heck knows I went through a few programs that were led by non-alcoholics/addicts and my experience was they paid lip service to understanding the problem.

For me , AA connected me with some people in long term recovery who have helped me adjust to living without alcohol after 30 plus years of drinking. I could not have done it alone as I tried that for years and whether AA was the only way for me , I am not sure but it is keeping me sober and I don't even desire a drink. The obsession is gone about whether I could have a few ....I never did.

Not sure how long you have been drinking but I gave AA 90 meetings in 90 days and it made the first months of sobriety manageable. I think I have been lucky with the groups , sponsor and people I am close to in my area and YMMV in your neck of the woods.

SOS , SMART Recovery and other programs are out there too and work for folks so AA is not the only way people find sobriety.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I use the AA program to stay sober and have had great success. I've made wonderful, supportive and sober friends. I have also met people that aren't so healthy (in many ways) but I stick with the winners so to speak. Somebody will always have something to say about any program. Take what you need and leave the rest. I had tried to quit drinking on my own and failed numerous times. I figured AA was worth a genuine shot. You could always check it out and decide what you think.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I understand tht youu have to believe you are powerless over alcohol and im ok with that
This is a common misconception - that AA tells you to believe you are powerless over alcohol or tries to convince you that this is so.

AA is for when you realize you are powerless over alcohol.

but im not really ok with some group telling me i have no personal control and power over my own life it gives me the creeps.
If AA told people that they had no personal control or power over their own lives, there would be only 1 step, but there are 11 others that are all about exercising power and control over your own life.

Also, if you have to drink tonight or you have no control over how much you drink once you start, then the first step applies to you whether anyone ever points it out to you or not. If you don't get a vote in whether you drink or how much you drink, you are by definition powerless over alcohol, as am I. AA didn't tell me this. It's just how it is. AA taught me what to do about it.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

That's funny. I would never join a cult, because I don't like people telling me what to do. All the people at AA have told me is that they care and to keep coming back. And you know what? Im 17 months sober and have made some of the best friends of my life there. And I have fun there.

Don't knock anything until you've tried it at least once!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ok so I was doing some research on aa (I've never been) and I read some things saying its basically like a cult that brainwashes you into thinking you are powerless and will fail miserably if you don't keep attending aa everyday. I understand tht youu have to believe you are powerless over alcohol and im ok with that, but im not really ok with some group telling me i have no personal control and power over my own life it gives me the creeps. Also I've heard going to aa is like trading one addiction for another. Also what about other recovery programs? Aadac or anything else I could try?

I would strongly encourage you to goggle "big book online" and read the 1st 164 pages. that will tell you what the program is.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

it is not a group telling you that you have no personal control and power over your own life.

I heard a lot of things when I was drinking that weren't true. heck, turn on anyone of the cable news channels and you can hear a lot of lies,too.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

some of the definitions of cult-
An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

INMHO, we are all brainwashed. Just depends on what you are washing it with--the negative news, negative people, violent movies...OR good books, good people, etc.

You can't get rid of a negative in your brain, you can only dillute it with "good"--

So to tie this in with your question about AA (or any other recovery method one may use--self help books, AVRT, whatever), it's washing away the crud we had previously washed our brains in over the years.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

When I read the OP, all I could think was "wait! all those "cultish" things that are feared about AA are exactly what booze says to an alcoholic!"

You are powerless...you cant live a day without me...you must do what I say...you must give over control to me...

Funny thing is 12 steps DON'T say that, but booze does. What many FEAR in recovery...is exactly the thing they are experiencing in addiction.

We don't want some group to tell us what to do...I mean, why would we? Alcohol is already doing a great job of that itself!

I'm in 12 step (not AA) and I am gaining control and freedom of my life. It's not at all about what I can't do, it's a total "YOU CAN!" experience