Notices

What is your experience with PAWS?

Old 06-02-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

What is your experience with PAWS?

PAWS stands for post acute withdrawal syndrome and I dont think its talked about enough in sober circles. When I fist quit drinking (2 years ago) I had no idea it even existed. I was at or around my 90 day mark and was at Sam's Club with my dad. I felt anxious and was feeling down. I brought it up and he smiled, and said " You have PAWS". He went on to explain it to me and it was exactly how I felt. If I hadnt brought it up, I would have just thought I was losing my mind. Im glad I was told about it, but I now realize many newbies or people in recovery in general are not made aware of it. Here is some info on it Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies . What has been your experiences with PAWS? I am pretty much over it, but I still do things like put the peanut butter in the freezer or the milk in the cupboard. It can be frustrating and even humorous at times.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

PAWS is real. I had all sorts of strange symptoms. The scariest one is when I would just blank out and not remember anything that happened in the last minute.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
PAWS is real. I had all sorts of strange symptoms. The scariest one is when I would just blank out and not remember anything that happened in the last minute.
Oh I have done that. Once I was at the bank drive through and BAM, I just blanked and couldnt recall even driving there or if I had filled out my depost forms.

I would go into the kitchen several times and not do the one thing or get the one thing I wanted. lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've wondered about this as I've done a lot of reading about anti-psychiatry etc.
And how many labels/diagnosis there are these days.
(I refuse to acknowledge many of my diagnosis' and have had some succesfully written off my medical history)

However... PAWS makes sense....
When you look at simply put bad stuff in, bad stuff comes out.
Short term or long term.

Many people with anxiety, bipolar, bpd, schizophrenia have abused substances.
So I wonder if their sober symptoms are actually paws?

It's like recently I did a module for my degree on does video gaming and violent films create violent acts, or do people with a predisposition to violence indulge more in violent media....not even the professionals know.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Oh I have done that. Once I was at the bank drive through and BAM, I just blanked and couldnt recall even driving there or if I had filled out my depost forms.

I would go into the kitchen several times and not do the one thing or get the one thing I wanted. lol.
I do this all the time, however I was diagnosed once with dissociative identity disorder, and once with PTSD... I don't believe either was right.
It may of been PAWS yet some symptoms were present before I abused anything.

But then again my theory of bad things go in, bad things happen doesn't have to relate to a substance.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'd been going to the same AA club every day for 3 months. One day I realized I had driven two to three blocks past it and had no idea where I was. It really freaked me out. Good news all the symptoms vanish slowly but surely
Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Another symptom I remember was forgetting I was holding on to things and dropping them. Also being super clumsy
Old 06-02-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We talk about PAWs a bit here.

I had it - but not continuously - a day here a few days there - mostly I felt very out of sorts, acting opposite to the way I would normally.

D
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Red face

Oh ya, my most recent was today. I was getting ready to go grocery shopping, looked all over for my water bottle. I could not find it, oh well, walked to the car, went to open the door. Oh....the bottle is in my hand that is holding my keys!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Interesting!! Never heard of this.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's really weird that I just read this this morning but I am quitting my job once summer classes start. My manager already knows but last night I told her I start Monday and this weekend would be my last day. But I don't start school for a whole other month!! I knew my classes were in July. Don't know what the hell I was thinking!!? Then I remembered just reading this PAWS thing. Maybe ill look into it a little more.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My cellphone seems to hide on it's own (sneaky ba$tard) and I cannot for the life of me remember how to cook dinner in the order to where everything comes out at the same time. Also my vacuum ran away and the carpets begging to be cleaned don't seem to bother me too much.

Maybe it is being from the South and the Scarlet O'Hara mentality - "I'll think about it tomorrow" except I have to write it down to remember what to do tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

PAWS... yes I agree it's not as widely spoken of as it could (or should) be. I tell everyone I can about it. And most people I tell thank me profusely for doing so, and they are surprised they weren't told about it in recovery/rehab. I'm not sure why more treatment and rehab centers do not emphasize it. Makes little sense to me, especially given the popularity of alcoholism's disease model.

I've experienced the emotional overreaction side of PAWS, and very little of the cognitive side... mostly words do not come to me quickly, but only sometimes... not all the time. It's crazy. Will be sweeping the floor and can't think of the word "broom." Simple things like that. Drives me crazy though because I'm a writer. And words are necessary
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Like MIRecovery, I also had trouble holding on to things. Small things in particular, like a set of keys, forks, etc. I would also spill drinks (non alcoholic drinks of course) very often, and on occasion when I am anxious or nervous, I still get a "case of the dropsies". So for me it was mostly physical. It has been consistently getting better and I feel pretty steady these days.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Okay this makes sense. Many of these have happened to me. I thought maybe my age was catching up to me way to quickly or I was slowly losing my marbles.

I have had issues with lids. WTH? It seems I am forgetting to screw the lid on or snap the lid shut. Like the thought to do that after I open something is gone. The lid is on but not closed. I have come really close to spilling stuff. I have been double checking now to make sure I have things closed.

I too have missing minutes in time. Kind of like auto-pilot. My mind is doing it without my body remembering what I was going to do, where I was going or what I just did. This morning I was looking for my pants to put on and I had already put them on.

It is like something is out of sync. Like I think about doing it and my body goes ahead and does it but I my mind did not catch up yet or my recollection of doing it did not catch up yet.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Another thing I've noticed has to do with sleep... I sleep like a freaking LOG now!! Which is a good thing, since body and brain are in major repair mode. But waking up... so funny. I feel heavy as lead, clumsy fumbling out of bed and walking to bathroom... just feel really groggy. Don't remember feeling this way while drinking. It's kind of nice.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great question and lots of good feedback. Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am on Day 32 on sobriety and I am starting to call what I call "Pregnancy Brain" again (even though I am not pregnant, I did have 4 children). I am completely forgetful and scattered. Today out of nowhere I felt like I couldn't get out of bed and basically slept the entire day away. Even now I find myself so very tired, I can't wait for bed!!!

In my IOP we talk extensively about PAWS. Good thread. Hugs, PG
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeppyGirl View Post
I am completely forgetful and scattered.

In my IOP we talk extensively about PAWS. Good thread. Hugs, PG
Scattered... yes, I have that at times too.

At my IOP, they gave us a handout on it when we first arrived. But the counselor really didn't discuss it much. I brought it up a few times. She was more of the talk therapy brand I think, which is all good.

But some of those people were fresh out of a 28 day inpatient, and I asked them if PAWS was ever mentioned, or nutrition, vitamins... none of it was! Mind boggling that they don't mention it upfront. I think it's a mistake not to.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have found that as long as I manage stress ok my PAWS is not nearly as bad as everything that I read about it. I have been careful not to take too much on a one time as I feel a little more fragile in general. When I am overly stressed, I do tend to forget things but I just finished my masters degree & had no problem with classes or my thesis..more so with little things, like the name of the movie I watched last night.

The sleep thing is interesting..for the first time in my life I can take naps & wake up refreshed & still sleep at night. I do seem to need a little more sleep but I see it as a sign of healing & its so nice after so many alcohol induced 2am awakenings & hours of insomnia.

Mood swings for me seemed to peak at 3-5 months, I still have them but there less extreme & I can deal with them better.