Notices

Need advice please!?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need advice please!?

I am 10 days sober now and not doing too bad. My question to you is, "I have been experiencing disturbing dreams...I have been perscribed Trazadone to sleep. Do you think the trazadone is causing this or is it just something I have to go through? Thank you in advance for responding!! :-)
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you have them before taking trazadone?
I have disturbing dreams with or without medication.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bad dreams

I have always had a few bad dreams occasionally, but this has been for the last 5 nights in a row...maybe it is just my body adjusting, mentally dealing with sobriety at an unconscience level?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I had them as part of my early (first year) recovery. They are gone now (2 years of sobriety).

Maybe it's the brain learning how to sleep normally again?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thankyou!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Occasionally I use 25mg of Trazodone as a sleep aid (it's not addictive). I've not noticed any difference in dream patterns when I use it and when I don't.

I'd guess that your change in dreams is due to the changes you're making. They should settle down as you get more sober time.

If you think it's the Trazodone, you could talk with your Dr. about your dosage. My Dr. originally prescribed me 100mg which knocked me flat on my butt, I talked with him and and we reduced the dosage. The dose I'm taking does give me a very good night's sleep, without any leftover goggy feelings in the morning.

My Rx runs out soon, and I'm not going to get it refilled. I prefer to not use it, but I do find it useful at this point in my soberity, as a I find a good night's sleep essential for recovery.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's called Trazadone Nightmares. I was on Trazadone for years. I ended up stopping the Trazadone as the nightmares were making me crazy. Maybe you could talk to your doc about another alternative?
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Oh no, its the withdrawal. Its pretty common to have horrible nightmares, anxiety, sweats, shakes, and even hallucinations when detoxing. It takes a while too, as you have damaged your brain and nervous system. They can heal, but it takes some time for the body to level all you chemicals out. There is also something called PAWS which is super fun and lasts up to a year or so. Google it. Its not scary, you can do this. Everyday you dont touch alcohol, is a day your body works towards getting back to feeling good and being healthy.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i had terrible dreams for about month or so after i stopped. but after a while they go away. for me i think that was a normal part of stop drinking. i was able to get sleeping aids but i chose not too. i have a natural sleeping disorder, i work night shift and sleep during the day. so can be difficult with or without alcohol. but often times i like to read before i go to sleep. or other things such as surfing my favorite sites.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bad dreams are common in withdrawal, but I have no experience with that medication.

Thing is, it's impossible for us to speak with any authority BooBoo - we're not Doctors.

If you're concerned about your medication or it's effects, the best thing to do is see your Dr

D
Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take trazodone and only have bad dreams when I am sober. But the upside is that I also have many awesome dreams when sober, like now! I've never noticed the trazodone causing it or not. For me it does not. I think it's early sobriety, personally. Tazodone no longer helps me sleep unless I take it only occasionally, so I only use it now when I am really worried I won't sleep. I take 150 mg
Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I've taken Trazodone over four different periods and didn't find that it impacted my dreams at all. If anything it dulled them.

It seems to be a very dosage-sensitive and person-sensitive drug when you're taking it for purely sleep-related issues. My optimum sleep level dosage is 50g.

Sober sleep can be unpredictable at best in early stages. It does level out though.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took Trazodone for months and I had absolutely horrifying nightmares that would bother me for hours after I woke up. Weird, creepy stuff. I have a lot of nightmares anyway, but they were worse and more vivid when I was on Trazodone.