Notices

Day 9 and not feeling right

Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9 and not feeling right

I was on this forum about 18 months ago, but I didn't quit drinking. I am back and really want to do it this time. I didn't go through much withdrawal this go around. (Did in a previous effort to quit.) But my head feels funny-a tightness through sinus area, throat and ears. Slight dizziness and a little light headed, jumpy, and a little nausea that comes and goes. Sleeping well though. I just want to feel better. I wanted to get beer yesterday, but am glad I didn't. As long as I feel a little ill I don't think it is hard to turn down the alcohol. Maybe when I feel "all better", alcohol will be back. I hope not. How long will it take to feel normal again? I sorta suspect that my nervous system has not recovered yet. I don't want to see a doctor yet. Within my drinking period (5 years following my divorce) I lied to the doctor. Don't want to go in until I can tell the truth.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 9 days!!!

I have the opposite issue, being sick is a trigger for me... especially with a head cold. I just made it through a head cold without drinking. I tried to keep busy and allowed myself a little Xbox time and TV time to make it through. I found that allowing myself innocent guilty pleasures was an effective way to resist the cravings.

If you think you will start craving, do you have a game plan to stay sober? Is there an enjoyable hobby you can keep busy with?

I hope you feel better, soon! Get some rest and take it easy.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations BecomingSober on your 9 days.
You are also fortunate not to be having bad withdrawal symptoms. Embrace that, and the fact that you are sleeping well. Take an inventory of all the good that has come from the past 9 days, that is where you are headed.
Be cautious when you do feel better. That for me is when I feel "I deserve a drink" or a reward for sobriety by reaching for a celebratory bottle. Then you are on the Merry go Round again. I know what you mean about lying to the doctor, but you will never be truthful with him until you have stopped drinking....because you have to be truthful with yourself. He won't be able to help you, you have to own this yourself.
It's a tough road, but you are in the right place. Hope you feel better very soon. Remember that nothing feels as good as the Freedom of Sobriety-Nothing.
Thanks for your post.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind posts. Back home from some shopping. Will not go back out today, so no buying beer. I did go through withdrawal during an earlier attempt to quit. It was terrifying. I combined it with excess coffee. I don't know how to describe the sensations. There was no pain but I was so "strung out", like all the neurons in my brain were firing at the same time. Think of a cartoon figure with a finger in an electrical outlet. It hit real hard at work. I was so agitated that I literally could not sit still. Seriously, I was close to asking my boss to take me to the emergency room. I know the caffeine made things worse. There were feelings of impending doom. I thought I might die. It got better in the next few days, but I still felt awful with even a small amount of coffee. The way I figure it, since alcohol depresses the nervous system when it is taken away there is a "snap back" and your nervous system overshoots for awhile. I didn't quit drinking, I just quit the coffee. Doh!

I started to drink less, because I actually became more sensitive to alcohol. So this time things weren't as bad. But I have that "funny head thing" going on. Someone else mentioned that in a post, so I suppose I am not alone.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BecomingSober

I think 'back to normal' varies. For some, it's a week, for others it takes longer.

Of course this may be something else entirely.

I realise it might be embarrassing, but if you're concerned about your health or your situation, the best thing to do is to bite the bullet and go see your Dr.

D