Notices

2 weeks

Old 06-01-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the odd craving here and there, but for the most part it hasn't been bad. I do have a question? I have had 3 beer in the trunk of my car that have been acting as a comfort for me knowing that they are there. I tried to give them to a friend last night, but a little anxiety took over and couldn't do it. Do you think I should get rid of them? I have been under alot of stress in these last two weeks and if I were to drink them I prob would have done so by now.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I don't have alcohol in any of my personal spaces .

I share a house so others alcohol is fine in the kitchen or suchlike but it isn't mine .

I don't own any alcohol , as soon as i do i give it away.

I don't drink , I don't smoke , I don't do drugs . if you look in the boot of my car there is no alcohol , no ciggarettes , crack or hash .

I'd derive no comfort in having any of them near me , owning some or them being under my control .

Bestwishes , M
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

GET RID OF THEM!!!

Sincere congratulations on two weeks! I am tracking the same as you; my two week anniversary was on Thursday. I had a lot of false starts over the last few months because I really did not commit to abstinence. If you are totally committed to abstinence, there is no need to keep them around. Is a part of you still hoping and expecting to pick up drinking again?

My last relapse was totally embarrassing - or so others tell me, since I don't remember. I tried moderation management, I guess I just needed one last go to prove that I need to stay abstinent for the rest of my life. I am a beer lover, and it still pains me that I cannot drink again when I walk past a row of microbrews in the store.

Best wishes for a new life!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel about the comfort thing, I did that when I quit smoking. Actually I felt a bit wasteful throwing out a pack so I waited until I ran into a friend.

That said, if it were me those three beers may lead me to overconfidence. The more you prove you can own those three beers the more you prove your power over alcohol, and feel it may be ok to try to drink 'moderately.' That's just me.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Personally I'd get rid of them. Think, if you wanted more you could just go buy it. No need to stash any. If you're never going to drink again, you have no need for them.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey bdnb74

Personally, I think if you're too anxious to get rid of them that's probably the best argument you have for getting rid of them.

As long as you keep the option open, chances are one day you'll take it, y'know?

D
Old 06-01-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, they are gone! I handed them over to a very thankful friend who was doing yard work all day long. You are right, one day I probably would have caved it's just a matter of time.

Thanks again for the advice SR
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my humble opinion it's a "stash". I had stashes all over my house. Bottles, pipes, packets, baggies, vials, etc., etc. Until I threw it all away I didn't feel like I was being honest with myself.

Congratulations on two weeks. That's a long haul but you've done it. Hang in there.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GOOD FOR YOU BDNB!!! That was a very wise choice. I know at least for me it would be only a matter of time before I cracked them open.

My home and personal spaces are alcohol free because I don't trust myself. Even at 9 months and with all the gifts of sobriety I still don't trust myself to have it that readily available. It is a huge relief that I'm able to be that honest with myself. I have recovery to thank for that

Very proud of you!!! Soldier on...
Old 06-01-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

The biggest thing I learned in my sobriety is to never get comfortable and to never let your guard down. That is when you think its safe and the addiction side of your personality begins to slowly take over. Get rid of them!!! They are evidence of a life that has held you back for so long, and think of it as a release when you throw them away. You are breaking free from a control that you have been a slave to for however long. You are growing stronger daily, and the addiction is losing its control.