Notices

A new problem...

Old 05-31-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new problem...

I have a new problem....Coca-Cola!!
I have actually found it easier to stop drinking alcohol.
I drink about 7 or 8 cans of Coke a day and even though I know the amount of sugar it contains and how bad it is for you, I still can't stop drinking it
Any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Honestly, I think that this may have to be stopped just like alcohol was stopped. You will go through headaches and caffeine withdrawal. I know you can do this. Do not buy anymore. Give it everything you got.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I switched from Diet Coke to flavored seltzer water. It's sugarfree and inexpensive. 7 or 8 cans a of regular Coke a day is a lot of sugar and calories (39 grams per 12oz can).
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do any of the Aussies know if you can get flavored seltzer water here. I don't think I've ever seen it.... But then I haven't been looking for it either.
Is it like mineral water?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes similar to mineral/sparkling water. If you can't find flavored seltzer water, you could try sparkling water and add a touch of fruit juice to add flavor.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Selzter water is what we call soda water in Oz.
I know that comes in a few flavours.

I sometimes add cordials (not Golden Circle, the Schweppes and Bickfords kinds) to plain soda water.

There's a range of flavoured mineral waters too

D
Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks will definitely give it a go
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
oak

Talana,
I agree! Soda has been much harder for me to stop than alcohol. It sucks to see myself eat junk food and drink soda when I was able to stop alcohol. But I have been caffeine-free this week (and sober).

I really do not have any great ideas. No idea what to suggest that might help.

I hope the soda water helps you!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Talana--

I struggle with Coke, too! And Coke Zero was extremely difficult for me to give up. I used to start my day with a couple of cans of Coke Zero, and it seemed impossible to ever switch to anything else until the evening, when I would add a little (okay, a lot of) something stouter to soda.

Now I start my day with a strong, black cup of coffee, and then another. I've been keeping sparkling water in the fridge, and I try to stick to the plain and sparkling water throughout the day. I gave up the Coke Zero back in January, a few days after I gave up the booze I was mixing with it. Since then, I've been picking up a personal-sized Coke at the supermarket when I'm there, but I'm not bringing it into the house anymore. Switching to a lower-carb diet has really helped me with those sugar cravings, too. I hope to cut the cokes out altogether soon!

Good luck, Talana!

~Apple
Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That stuff will rot your stomach
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your probably addicted to the sugar, (most AH are hypoglycemic) try switching to a healthy amount of coffee and lots of fresh fruit.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

As already mentioned, there are often 2 addictions going on with the Coke stuff. Sugar, and caffeine. IMO, the sugar is much more dangerous, but in the case of people like ourselves who crave mood altering substances... the caffeine can be a pretty big issue too.

Anyhow, I was a bit surprised when I researched caffeine addiction and saw what WebMD had to say. People in the medical feild have told me it's a reputable site and generally provides sound information. So, in an attempt to possibly disarm the power we give to caffeine, you might want to read what they have to say. Not saying it's easy, but if we really want to quit it's not quite like alcohol or cigarettes. Hey, I can quit coffee antime I want. I just don't want to.

Sugar, on the other hand I believe is often worse than the 2.

The webmd stuff is here: Caffeine Facts: Addiction, Insomnia, Pregnancy Effects, and More
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The weird thing is that I get dizzy and have heart palpitations from coke, yet I still crave it.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Honestly, I think that this may have to be stopped just like alcohol was stopped. You will go through headaches and caffeine withdrawal. I know you can do this. Do not buy anymore. Give it everything you got.

Wait, so you mean as addicts, we can easily get addicted to OTHER things too? Oh hell no, I am outraged!!! jk. I have the most addictive personality and have a tendency to over do it on almost everything. I drank so much diet dew when I first got sober, and for like a year after. I am weaning off, and have been off and on for a while now. I quit smoking and started vaping, and its so much better. I even work out too much now. I am always having to reel myself back from getting to obsessed with one thing or another and going to extremes.