Notices

Still drinking

Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Kys

Still drinking

Need to think back to when I spent days sober.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Or how about making today a sober day - then you won't have to think back.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry to read you continue to struggle

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
Need to think back to when I spent days sober.
Thinking is great, but not while you are drinking. I don't think I ever thought myself sober. I had to do something. I hope you find within yourself the strength to put down the drink.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read some of your old posts and this is what you need to do: put a plug in the jug and get ready to be uncomfortable. It is not fun about the first two weeks. I would suggest going to AA meetings every day and checking in here.

YOU ARE WORTH IT AND YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

What kind of support do you have Kys?

D
Old 05-31-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do it. I can too, tomorrow will be a new day one for us. How about you join the class of June with me tomorrow?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks as always guys.

Well I'm about to head to bed soon, so that's another 'Day 1' for me.

Dee, I'm doing some over the phone counceling but it may be time to consider something more frequent.

SoberForMySon, just joined, looking forward to actually and wiki encourage me to check in more
Old 06-01-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kys

Nodding off, getting a good nights sleep, like I said another day one.

Sometimes I wonder how many 'day ones' do you have before people will give up on you, thought I know that's rubbish given all the support I've seen on SR. Think it's because when I have had some success I've posted about it, and then feel a little stupid when days later I come back with posts like this.

I have made progress though, and looking forward to the class of June 13!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kys View Post
Nodding off, getting a good nights sleep, like I said another day one.

Sometimes I wonder how many 'day ones' do you have before people will give up on you, thought I know that's rubbish given all the support I've seen on SR. Think it's because when I have had some success I've posted about it, and then feel a little stupid when days later I come back with posts like this.

I have made progress though, and looking forward to the class of June 13!
For me , once i decided I did not want to keep living life being wasted, hung over and full of regrets. I surrendered to the "Universe", I mentally said "I want to change, I don't want to be drunk anymore". I would write down 5-10
Reasons on a piece of paper about why I don't want to continue using alchohol/drugs. I then made a list of items that I could do right then to get sober.

Depending on frequency of drinking, this might mean making a appointment with ny Doctor and admitting my issues and asking forma referal to medically supervised detox and or also finding and attending local AA meetings and finding someone to be a "sponsor" or temporary sponsor to help walk through the 12 steps with.

There is so much help available these days, of course it requires commitment and a desire to stop drinking an be willing to do "whatever it takes" to stop. (I.e. not going to bars or "parties" not hanging out with the "drinking buddies", changing the usual alchohol routine and replacing it with healthier habbits such as a brisk walk or drinking a fruit smoothie instead. Keeping busy doing volunteer work at a local community center or elder home.

If you are ready to stay sober, remember you need to write down your thoughts because sooner or later your mind will forget and will try and trick you and tell you that you can have "just one". You need to constantly remind yourself that as long as you do not drink "just one" and continue to work on yourself , you can stay sober and get healthy.
Just my two cents,
Thanks!
Norm
Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kys

Thanks Norm. I'm very much at this point with much of what you said.

I do want to change, I don't want to go on living like this. Ha, I've already got bullet points similar to how you described it up on my fridge

I've been meeting friends for lunch, instead of dinners which would often turn into evenings at bars. Beyond this though when I have gone for dinners etc I've simply said I'm not drinking tonight. In a round about way it's assumed that I'm not drinking as I need to stay focused for work, which in part is true, I'm so busy at the moment with work (my friends know this) I'm doing extended work hours to lighten my workload that alcohol got me into (my friends don't know the last part). I have however been letting a close friend know how alcohol isn't doing me any favours at the moment, I haven't gotten into the bugger picture however.

On the work and stress front I've taken action to change company where I won't be confronted with the same triggers, it was a big decision for me but one I needed to make. I feel really happy about the change and while i know there will be new challenges, the move is a positive one for many reasons that I could go in to. While I'd love to take a nap right now I'm in the final stages of finishing all of this other work, and then relieving myself of the near overwhelming burden I've caused myself that was directly bought on by my addiction to alcohol.

Another sober day today. Still a looooong way to go, but I remember when I joined here around March thinking how hard it would be to get even one day sober down. I'm thankful for this progress, and all the support I've been so kindly given.

People don't give up on you here. That's a rarity in life
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kys,

Congrats on dusting yourself off and starting over. I made the decision in the fall to stop drinking and between then and now I had numerous Day 1s! It sounds like you are making some positive changes to help you achieve your goal. Like you, I continued to take inventory on why I failed and made a new change every time I was back to Day 1. I currently see an addiction counselor weekly, attend an IOP 3 days a week and attend aa as often as I can, usually 5 times/week. It sounds like a lot but for me I needed it.

Hugs, PG