Notices

Lost my therapist

Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Lost my therapist

Ever since I've been sober, I've been working with a really wonderful addiction therapist who has helped me so much. She is an ACOA and alcoholic in recovery herself, and she understands me very well. Today I learned that she is moving, so I won't be able to see her anymore. I'm really disappointed, and my mind is churning out all kinds of weird paranoid thoughts like she doesn't want to work with me anymore and she's glad to be rid of me. She told me that I'm doing well and she expects I will be successful in my recovery, which struck me as dismissive, and now I'm having a stupid pity party feeling like no one takes me seriously and no one believes that I need help and support. I am very responsible and self- sufficient, I am the one who takes care of others instead of getting the care I need for myself, and I was so relieved to find someone I could show my weakness to. Now I feel like she basically told me I'm fine and don't need any help, and I feel abandoned and resentful, like no one ever takes my needs seriously. I'm sure I'm way over thinking this, but it is really bothering me tonight.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I was so relieved to find someone I could show my weakness to.
Hi, Briar.

I hear you - My therapist is a great person who's been supporting me for a long time and, actually, she is the only person who really understands who I am.

I think I would be worried too if I were in your shoes.

Is there any possibility that you can communicate via Skype in case of you need it?

Anyway, keep posting here - you'll always find a lot of support and understanding.

Best wishes to you.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your therapist is moving. It is not because of you. Her encouragements were a positive. She believes that you will do well and I don't think that is dismissive. This therapy can still continue. You mAy be able to find another person that feels compatible
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like the Skype idea.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's rough to have the people we've come to depend on move on Briar, but it's really nothing to do with you.

People have life plans and dreams, and other opportunities come up.

I hope you'll find another therapist who'll be as good for you really soon

D
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thanks guys! I know I am over reacting, and I know her moving has nothing to do with me, but sometimes even when I logically know something, I still manage to question it emotionally. I really don't trust people very well, and I tend to take things personally when they are not about me at all. I'm afraid of being caught off guard by learning that someone I trusted has a problem with me, so I always have an ear perked for that sort of trouble. I used to drink to turn that off. Now I'm not real sure how to deal with it. I will explore my options and find a way to continue therapy.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we learn to deal, the same as any other skill Briar
You'll be OK

D