Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks MB,
I'm trying.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gmanriley View Post
Guess I was too drunk to feel anything really...now I feel everything and it sucks.
1) Congratulations on 40 days

2) Give yourself some time. I don't know your history, but it can take a while to feel good sober. Your brain is used to an abundance of happy chemicals flooding those nerve cells. Once the alcohol stops, the happy chemicals and nerve cells take a while to reajust to a natural state.

3) Even people who have never taken a drink in their life feel miserable for periods of time--it sucks, but try not to let it lead you back to drinking.

4) A visit to the doctor would be a good idea.

5) Now that you're sober, make a plan for yourself and start to work it. At the very least get some exercise if you're not already doing so. That should help your mood and energy level.

6) There's always AA. I'm not saying you need to jump in with both feet, but just attending meetings may give you some perspective. If you want to go further great.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey I'm miserable too! I think there is something floating in the air. I'm trying to get out of the misery and onto something more pleasant. I think you should eat a cookie.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses... I get these overwhelming blasts of despair from time to time, and feel like I'm going insane...but today is better.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think I can relate, I get like that too. Miserable while using, now miserable while clean. What's the point?

Despair is a good word for it. But these feelings eventually pass for me.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Depression is a psychological disorder. Despair is a spiritual disorder. The solution for depression is one of a medical nature.

Since despair is a spiritual disorder, I believe the solution is a spiritual one. Which one?...I’ll leave that to you.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks for the responses... I get these overwhelming blasts of despair from time to time, and feel like I'm going insane...but today is better.
Glad to hear today is better. And it's a good reminder that the bad days are just that - days. They go away and the next day is usually better. And as you get further down the road the bad days will become less numerous and less bad. We don't live in a perfect world of course, and there will always be stresses and bad things happening around us, whether we are sober or not. But being sober makes it much easier to deal with - being drunk or high just postpones all the problems until later. Stay strong and stay with us here on SR.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recovering

Sorry...
I'm just friggin miserable.
I was miserable at 40 days too.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You guys really understand this stuff...
Some days I feel like a car with a dead battery...I have no passion for anything, I need a spiritual re-boot.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recovering

You guys really understand this stuff...
Some days I feel like a car with a dead battery...I have no passion for anything, I need a spiritual re-boot.
It somehow never seemed quite fair to me. When you give up booze you expect to feel happier and full of energy. I was miserable , missing beer, and lethargic for about 3 months. Then the fog slowly lifted.

I complained to God a lot. Told him it wasn't fair. Then I complained to my wife (nothing like sharing misery with loved ones). If I'd had a pet I would have complained to it as well. I was never seriously depressed, but just plain miserable, grumpy, lethargic and lazy.

No, it still doesn't seem quite fair somehow.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That's exactly how I feel Michael...like a dam grouch, and I don't like myself at all lately.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
gman, I read this a while back and it really helped me. Instead of saying "I am miserable", think "misery is passing through me", "I am angry" to "anger is passing through me", etc... The idea is that (as you already know) these feelings are transient, and to attach too strongly to them creates more suffering. There is the feeling itself, and there is also how you are feeling about the feeling...observe it, but don't identify with it.
Sounds a little whacked...but it works well for me.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Makes a lot of sense, thanks soberlicious,
Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey gman... Finally found my way back, thought I would say hello... Look me up sometime... Hope things are well...