Notices

2 weeks today!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks today!

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here at SR. I have had longer periods of abstinence, but this time I am doing some deep digging that has made it harder for me to stay sober, but more rewarding. I am so very grateful to be getting my life back. After the initial depression started to dissipate, I find that I am slowly working, exercising and keeping my house and family in order and I enjoy the sense of accomplishment.

I used to think, "Oh god, I am not as bad as that person." Or, "I really don't think I have that big of a problem." Now I see that alcohol addiction is a continuum. All of this chatter is from my Addictive Voice, who is just trying to convince me that I am not an addict and it is okay to pick up "moderate drinking." It is this type of thinking that is so destructive to addicts, especially alcoholics. We are grown-ups, right? Grown-ups drink wine, not lemonade!

It is only a matter of time until I progress to a point where I can lose something more tangible than my self-respect. I have a serious addiction and the only way I can live is to stay totally abstinent. I still have cravings but I am getting stronger and saying "no" and the ability to resist in itself is rewarding.

I just want to say thank you to everyone here for sharing so openly and honestly. I don't feel comfortable going to AA, so this site has become my program. Everyone here has been so kind and I could not have come this far without all of you. It is nice to have friends who are going through the same thing.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, 1st, feels good, doesn't it? Very wise words by you above and something I hope others read since you have expressed what so many of us go through and often think perfectly.

It's upwards from here, those cravings lessen and lessen. I'm almost at four months now and it constantly surprises me that something I used to obsess about pretty much 75-100% of my time occupies a lot less head space these days. I never believed that would happen.

Anyway, thanks for this post and congrats again on your two weeks!!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 2 weeks!! 2 more and you'll be counting in months!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations 1st!!
Old 05-30-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sparky78 View Post
Great job on 2 weeks!! 2 more and you'll be counting in months!

Wow! Counting in months... that is really something to strive for.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
Congratulations, 1st, feels good, doesn't it? Very wise words by you above and something I hope others read since you have expressed what so many of us go through and often think perfectly.

It's upwards from here, those cravings lessen and lessen. I'm almost at four months now and it constantly surprises me that something I used to obsess about pretty much 75-100% of my time occupies a lot less head space these days. I never believed that would happen.

Anyway, thanks for this post and congrats again on your two weeks!!
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! It really made me feel good about myself, and that I am actually "getting it" and progressing as a person and recovering addict.

I can't wait for the cravings to lessen, but right now, I am happy to be feeling the temptation so that I can continue to grow and understand. This time I understand that just because I feel good at this moment, it doesn't mean that I won't have difficult days ahead. It is part of the process.

Exactly two weeks ago at this hour, I relapsed and started to sneak "one glass of wine" in my favorite drinking spot, the laundry room. It was full of dirty laundry and my house was a mess. Even though I was sober for 3 weeks, I don't think I came to the realizations I have experienced this time around. In that way, I see my last relapse as a chance to learn more about my addiction. I hope my laundry room happy hour(s) days are over!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations 1st

D
Old 05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done 1st.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!!

Hugs and prayers,