Notices

Kudo's to you all

Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kudo's to you all

My sober date is 2.22.11 and I check back here from time to time. This site was incredibly helpful to me in my early recovery and I'm glad you've found it too.

I want to congratulate all of you newcomers and those of you coming back for taking this important step to look for help.

My wife could never understand why I just couldn't stop drinking, and frankly neither could I. It had ceased being fun a long time ago. What I now realize is I had flipped some internal switch where I needed a little buzz on to feel normal. The real world had become an uncomfortable place for me, and the only way to calm my racing brain down was alcohol. I had to maintain the perfect balance of a high to function, which meant a constant intake of booze, and constant failure. I was forever running just to stand still.

I spent many years trying to be a normal drinker. I was not going to let anyone or anything control me. I was the toughest guy in the room, but my greatest enemy was inside me. This disease had hijacked my brain.

"Surrender to win". This is another saying you hear in the halls that went over my head when I first started out, but now I realize it was the key for me. My drinking had become unmanageable and my life quickly followed.

When I finally surrendered to the fact I have a disease, my life instantly got better. I can treat my disease with the help of people like you. I can live the life I'm supposed to live, helping the ones I love and helping fellow sufferers like you break the chains of addiction.

Getting sober is not easy. I won't sugarcoat it, you've got a tough road ahead. Your disease want you dead and has it's claws in you. I suggest you try a different tack- stop fighting.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Take everyday for what it is, good or bad, just know everyday sober is another day of clarity and another day closer to the peace and serenity and feeling of usefulness we all crave. Crave in a good way.

All the best on your journey.

SH
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. The honesty is so much appreciated by me. Keep checking in on us more!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for such a positive post!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

well done sober and thank you for posting. I need to hear these stories.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I really liked what you had to say, SH. Glad you are enjoying life & staying sober.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you SH - glad all is well and congrats on your sober time

D