Notices

HELP in meetings WANTED!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

HELP in meetings WANTED!

Hello everyone,
I needed to get some input on handling meetings that I chair. First off, the crowds seem to have been thinning out lately so I'm assuming it coz summer is here but what should I say or do during the meeting when there's dead silence? I mean I've tried calling out people's names but rarely works depending on who's there & at some point resorted to asking if there are any burning desires(not that I'm wrapping up)
Secondly, now most groups including mine have a phrase at the beginning to turn off phone & REFRAIN from texting during the meeting. Now the people who do this aren't newbies but folks w/ time or a lot of time. How do you tend to that?
THANKS everyone for your answers!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have never chaired a meeting but I what I have seen is that when the floor is opened for comments and no one comments then I have seen the chair themselves speak up and comment. That usually gets the ball rolling. Unless it is a lead meeting where the chair usually speaks last, then I am not sure what to suggest.

The phone thing is down right rude to me and I see it at meetings all the time. From the person that leaves their phone out and glances it at it every few seconds to the person sitting in the back texting or playing a game through most of the meeting. All of the meetings I have been to request this at the beginning of meetings and people still do it. I have no suggestions either but I can tell you it does not only bother the chair.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are awesome - being a leader is a great thing. If you have a meeting and particapation is low, you might want to bring out the Big Book.

Not everyone has one, so pass it around and ask each person if they can read a paragraph or two for the group. Of course you might have some who decline, but that is OK. When the part you wanted to cover is over, ask for comments on what they have read. A lot of times, this has opened up the dialogue and by already reading aloud, they have more confidence in speaking.

Another option would be to have a chart board. Draw a straight line down the middle of the page and ask each person to come forward if they wish and on one side have them right down what was positive in their life when drinking and on the other side write down what was negative. Tell them that they can write more than one response in each category or simply leave the Positive or Negative blank. I have seen this happen and a lot of times there were very few Positive Posts. Then you can open a discussion on each written response.

Being a leader of a group is hard work. Being creative is the key. Myself, I find it hard speaking in groups, but if the topic comes up that I can relate to, I will share.

Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveorDie View Post
You are awesome - being a leader is a great thing. If you have a meeting and particapation is low, you might want to bring out the Big Book.

Not everyone has one, so pass it around and ask each person if they can read a paragraph or two for the group. Of course you might have some who decline, but that is OK. When the part you wanted to cover is over, ask for comments on what they have read. A lot of times, this has opened up the dialogue and by already reading aloud, they have more confidence in speaking.

Another option would be to have a chart board. Draw a straight line down the middle of the page and ask each person to come forward if they wish and on one side have them right down what was positive in their life when drinking and on the other side write down what was negative. Tell them that they can write more than one response in each category or simply leave the Positive or Negative blank. I have seen this happen and a lot of times there were very few Positive Posts. Then you can open a discussion on each written response.

Being a leader of a group is hard work. Being creative is the key. Myself, I find it hard speaking in groups, but if the topic comes up that I can relate to, I will share.

Good Luck.
1NewcCreation, I have to run to work now, but hopefully you will get more responses now. Love ya friend
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have seen two approaches. The first is that if everyone is finished sharing, then they simply close the meeting early. The second is to let people sit in silence. Getting comfortable with ourselves is a major undertaking for many in sobriety. It can be both awkward and empowering to sit in silence and observe your own level of serenity.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting ?. Early on a sponsor pointed out that if picking a person to speak at a discussion pick someone with some strengths and that can get the meeting into a positive manner. At meetings with a second moment of silence I'll pick topics that people avoid like feelings, walking the talk, being honest with ourselves, The Preamble which have turned out to be a VG topic as most readers just zip through it, pick a blind page from Living Sober and use it for a topic, if it's still quiet I'll ask why are we here? Instead of waiting for hands I'll start at the denial isle and go by turns. People don't like me to chair and after hundreds of times I don't like it that much. BE WELL
Old 05-29-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a little confused. Are we talking about chairing an AA meeting? If so, it sounds like things might be done a little differently where you are, than where I am. The chairperson is responsible for reading the preamble, making the general announcements, and getting the meeting going. Then there is a speaker who tells their story for approximately 15-20 minutes. Then people either raise their hand to share, or we go around the room from person to person and everyone shares. In a case like yours, that's certainly what we'd do. They call it a round robin, although I never knew exactly why.

Anyhow, if the meeting is falling flat then traditionally it should be discussed at a business meeting. Meetings change format all the time, and it sounds like that might be what's needed. That's not something for a chairperson to decide though, it for the group.

My $.02.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Read something out of the big book or have everyone do a ten item gratitude list. About the rude people, if they are new I'll let them know in a nice way after the meeting, if they are old timers I'll be just as nice, but during the meeting.