Notices

Any input on intensive outpatient programs?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any input on intensive outpatient programs?

I have tried several times to quit/control the alcohol over the past few years. I went a good two weeks sober (longest since early teens) until I had a huge blowout with my parents. They tried to persuade me that I didn't have any booze problems, despite them only seeing me every three weeks or so and with my best face on. I have been estranged from them for several months now, and am continuing to do so at the advice of my newly acquired MD and trauma therapist. I have realized that I am unable to accomplish sobriety or moderation (moderation seeming to not even be an option at this point) on my own. I have no real friends to confide in and have been isolated socially for many years, despite being a successful business owner (although the successful part is slowly going down the drain from booze). I have been diagnosed with complex PTSD from childhood sexual molestation and from what I only recently discovered to be a dysfunctional family upbringing headed by an abusive/narcissistic mother. Essentially, I have no support system at this time. I have heard about IOP programs in the evening, and am wondering if anyone has had success with it and if it may be a good fit for me. I live alone, have no boyfriend, and work alone. I see the therapist weekly, but I need more support. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

my experience has been very positive especially coupled with going to AA. rehab will get you sober AA will keep you sober
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You seem to be interested in making more progress - congrats. I was admitted to an in-patient program, so I cannot speak on out-patient. However, I do share your isolation complex - I lived alone, worked in an office with few peer relationships, and drank alone. On paper I was successful but once I started circling the drain that also went away quickly. Treatment changed my direction and I owe my life in part to attending. I am encouraged by your openness and willingness to seek treatment. As I said I don't have experience with outpatient, but I would like to offer you my support. Good luck with this, you seem to be on the right track in your thinking!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

IOP is a great place to build a sober support system and friend network if you put forth the effort. The program I was in actually required that we contact at least two other group members weekly outside of the program. It also builds accountability with random UAs, etc. I think it takes a bit of dedication to work. Anyone can get locked up in a 28 day inpatient program and make it 28 days sober under strict supervision. Not everyone can get through a 6 week IOP with real life happening in the background. I witnessed several relapses, but they were utilized by the counselors in a positive way as learning experiences for the rest of us.

IOP can work if you do not need medical detox or the strict supervision of inpatient. Take advantage of any mental health professionals they recommend you see as well. It made a world of difference in my case.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. In re-reading my post, I am thinking I'm that crazy TMI (too much information) person. I didn't mean to get all psychotherapist on everyone, especially as a newbie. I am calling the local IOP program tomorrow to schedule an assessment. I can't live like this anymore, and despite having handled so much alone in my life, I can't tackle this one without help. As to AA, I am just too nervous, being self-employed, about rumors in the community and losing business (not as a knock to anyone there obviously, I'm just scared).
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great to hear.

Make sure you ask what the treatment center's requirements, approach, and philosophies are. My personal opinion is that the 12-step, "addiction as a disease" approach tends to work best.

I heard horror stories about other treatment centers putting addicts in the "hot seat," for example, and poo-pooing AA/NA programs. The bottom line is you want to do some research and make sure you are comfortable with what is going to happen, or it may negatively impact your success.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

your fears are unfounded people do not hang out at AA meetings unless they have a problem. the analogy I like to use is if I wake up in bed with a prostitute and I look and in the same bed is my neighbor I don't think either of us are going to be talking about it
Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello LittlePetunia,

I will be curious to hear what you find out when you start calling around. I am in the middle of an IOP right now in WI that I have found extremely beneficial for me. Mine meets 3 xs a week for 3 hours each session, 18 sessions total. I huge component of my IOP is attending AA regularly, getting a sponsor, and starting to work the steps.

A bit about my background- I tried to quit on my own starting in the fall of '12. It was harder than I thought! Like you, I started seeing an addiction counselor, but I kept having slips. In the winter of '13 I started attending AA and found that to help immensely. I was very embarrassed about having to attend AA and admit the fact that I am an alcoholic, but in the end I have found it to be the greatest gift. It definitely helped me but I continued to have slips (although they were further and further apart, each time I would drink it would be with the same and greater intensity, a hallmark of the disease at work). I started my IOP after a horrendous slip at the beginning of May. I am happy to say that as I write this I am 25 days sober.

Feel free to IM me if you want more info. I also had a narcissistic mother (she passed away many years ago from cancer) and can relate to a lot of your post. Best wishes to you, keep coming back to SR!

PG
Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I forgot to add, make sure either you or the treatment center verifies what will be covered by your health insurance and that you know exactly what your out-of-pocket cost will be.

I knew of a couple of people who were stuck with exorbitant bills ($30k in one case and $8k in another) for not researching this component properly. The sad state of affairs is that many insurance companies require a relapse after treatment starts before coverage will begin.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tried IOP, but was turned off after trying AA. I felt that a lot of people there (IOP) just weren't taking it serious, and once they clean up they disappear. I wanted experienced recovered alcoholics to tell me how they did it. AA provided me this, and I also see the same faces week in and week out. My recommendation is AA over IOP.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

I'm in an IOP program right now, and I am getting a whole lot out of it. Some others have brought up great points... There will be people there who aren't serious and it can be expensive.

You get out what you put in, though, and they will tell you things from a different point of view than AA. That never hurts in my opinion. Also, IOP is *much* better in conjunction with AA.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hear ya Goat. Just sharing my experience as input was requested. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a shot.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Sorry, Maples, I didn't mean to sound like I was countering you

If someone told me I could only do one or the other I would choose AA, but I think that for me the combination of the two has been better than AA alone.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

IOP can be great especially in the beginning of sobriety. You get to know a specifc group of people with similar problems who are usually all new at sobriety and struggling with the same issues. It is also educational and make you accountable as they do drug tests on everyone.

However, it can be hard to transition from an intensive program to nothing after 6 weeks. It gives you a foundation but you really need follow-up treatment after, such as counseling, AA/NA & group therapy. I participated in a Relapse prevention group, which meets just once a week, but for 12-20 weeks. I also am active in AA and plan to attend counseling as I was just discharged after starting the initial program in the beg. of December. While it sounds like overkill, its great to meet with people who are going through the same things at the same time, whereas in AA, people have different amounts of sobriety.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

My opinion is that you get out of it what you are willing to put into it. That pretty much goes for any program. If you go in with a blaze attitude, then you won't get as much out of it as the person who goes into it really wanting help.

My experience with IOP came after a six day stint in medical detox. The detox program got all the alcohol out of my system, got me on my feet, and the rest was up to me. I threw myself into it and absorbed everything I could. I was serious about kicking alcohol.

When it comes right down to it, I think you have to be determined to kick it. If you aren't sure you really want to never drink again, or if you think detox and IOP will teach you to drink like someone who isn't alcoholic, you're fooling yourself and it's probably a waste of time and money. The key is to be ruthlessly honest with yourself.