Notices

Hello!...Time to admit I have a serious problem...

Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!...Time to admit I have a serious problem...

Hey there,

So, this is my first post here. I guess I'll just go through everything really. I'm a 24 year old (25 this December) who has a job I love, friends and family who love me; but for a few years now I've had some serious problems with my alcoholism.

I don't know why I'm so dependant on it, but I just am. I usually intake about 40 - 60 units a week, and have done for a few years. I think I go more weeks drinking every single night than I do not drinking, and it's already caused me many health issues.

I have damaged my liver before, a blood test showed irregular liver functionality. So I cut down (not completely stopped) for a few moths, and the tests after that showed that my liver was normal again. That was about 8 months ago, and I'm on this slippery slop again where I am getting back into my old routine of drinking every single night

If im hungover, I will feel terrible all day, and say to myself "Why do I do this to myself?! That's it, Im quitting for good now..." - but then the same night It will get to the evening when I feel a bit better, and I will just drink again and say to myself "Hair of the dog and all that!"

I also have severe IBS which was caused from my drinking habits, and usually always in some sort of abdominal discomfort with constant trips to the toilet everyday. I know have bad anxiety, which has turned me into a hypocondriact, and am now living in constant fear that I have done myself too much harm already, and that there is no turning back.

So, yeah, basically....I need help :/

I've never been to any meetings, to be honest I think i wouldnt really be taken seriously there because of my age, plus have a bit more of a online presence, so thought I would try out some forums!

So yeah....that's my story! Can anyone give advice on how to quit, what to do, anything that will help my liver in terms of diet, excersize? Anything!

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You came to the right place! This disease is no joke! Do what u need to do:ask for help face to face!!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome MilligramSmile,

I'm 45, and have been drinking heavily on and off since about the age of 18, mostly binge drinking back then but once I had a decent income daily drinking.

27 years later, if I could change anything in my life it would be to control and/or eliminate my drinking starting back then. I've had a pretty good life so far, had some luck and good opportunities, but I could have been so much more if I'd broken the grip of alcohol earlier on. I regret what that has done to my family, especially the poor role model I've shown my kids, and the financial hardship drinking has caused my family.

We all have to make our own mistakes in life to learn, just don't make this one.

For me, the biggest hurdle was genuinely deciding to give it up and become a non-drinker. Once that decision was made I've had a pretty easy run of it to be honest (start of week 4 tomorrow).

Good luck - drink plenty of water, eat well, take multivitamins, and visit SR regularly.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Switch

Thanks for the reply! It's great to hear other peoples stories and backgrounds, it's filling me with good hope that I can seriously cut down; if not then completely quit, and just make my living quality not only better for me but those around me too!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I too started at age 18, and then spent the next 30 years battling all of the problems that come from excessive drinking. What finally did it for me was waking up in the morning feeling so anxious that I was about ready to whack my head against the wall. I stopped drinking (with some assistance from medical and counseling people) and gradually learned to enjoy being sober. I have had to fight through occasional relapses, which are part and parcel of the problem, and these are always a painful emotional setback, to say the least. I have continued to work with counselors, and occasionally attend a community group meeting, but mostly what has worked for me is self-study and drawing support from my loved ones.

The alcohol dependence syndrome is a tough nut to crack. We all have the same basic problem, but the sobriety plan that works will be different for each of us. It takes a great deal of effort, and most find that some form of support network (family, community, professional) is needed to see the plan through. The end result is worth the effort.

If you are coming to grips with all of this at a young age, more power to you. You have a chance to avoid a ton of misery in the years to come!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

Hi MilligramSmile, glad you found SR!
I'm not a member of AA myself, although I have attended a number of meetings. I will tell you that you are most certainly NOT too young to be attending. People of all ages and backgrounds suffer from alcoholism; if there is one thing about alcohol, it is most certainly an equal opportunity destroyer!
I'm 25; been sober for a bit over a year. I knew I had a problem at 21, but kept at it for a few years. I think the most important thing that made me finally stop for good was admitting and accepting the fact that I simply cannot drink like a 'normal' person. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS want/need more when I start drinking. It just never, ever ends differently.
I think lots of people on here are very familiar with the routine of waking up feeling like hell, swearing not to drink, only to robotically stop at the bottle store/liquor store on the way home from work. Rinse (or vomit) and repeat!

I cannot stress enough that your anxiety and IBS are directly linked to your alcohol consumption, as you already noted. Stopping drinking is priority #1. What program you decide on is up to you.
One last thing: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT OR WRONG PROGRAM. Do not let anyone tell you differently! What works for you might not work for someone else, and vice versa.
That said, do you have any plans for staying sober? SR is a phenomenal start; lots of great resources and support on here. Some people might need a bit more, however; counseling, etc. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys!

Thanks for sharing Exponential and Image101! Really loving the support from this site already!

I plan on seeing a doctor next week, due to some bloods getting taken, so in that catch up I'm going to ask about support from them and also where to find local support groups and maybe attend a meeting, see what they are like, and go from there. I've been a heavy smoker since I was 16 too, and going to try quit that bad habit also! Had my last cigarette last night, so trying to stop myself from buying more!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

hi, I started drinking @ 13 but seriously from 18 it was fine at first 50 60 + units a week felt fine but slowly it creeps up on you and before you know it your stuck with a big problem. What you mention is called the mental obsession many bad things will happen you might feel the worst you have but once you have a few days weeks off you will be back at it. I bet if you stopped drinking your anxiety level would drop dramatically. I first went too AA at about 24 I think iam now 30 and have just completed the 12 steps and must say thank god for aa. there are many people your age with the courage and for site to do something about it before its too late.

This thing is a killer, it might not seem like it or even feel like it, but given enough time it will kill you!!

Stick around you will get some great advise around here, god bless!!
Old 05-29-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies guys!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll find lots of good advice and support here.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a great place for information and support.

I started at 18 and was already having blackouts at 19.

I had interruptions in my life that had me stop for short periods but I have basically been a daily drinker for 26 years.

I am now two months sober. I go to AA and I have a sponsor. I am working on a new life and so far it feels great. I have my moments with resentments and anger but I am working on those.

There are a lot of different age ranges in AA. Some are younger then you, same age as you and some are older than you. Alcoholism does has no age discrimination and neither does AA.

Whatever recovery process you choose that is best for you and works for you is up to you. There are many options.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good to see ya.

"I've never been to any meetings, to be honest I think i wouldnt really be taken seriously there because of my age..."

if yer referring to AA, yes, you would be taken seriously. we dont care about age and neither does alcoholism.
i started drinkin about 13ish. 1st drunk i remember was a blackout. was like that for 23 years. please dont wait that long.
the best speaker i ever heard in AA was a woman 42 yeas old. she was 28 years sober at the time of the open talk.
yer never too young to stop drinkin.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Has anyone had any real health scares in terms of liver damage with their drinking? I've damaged mine before, and I'm worried sick at the moment that I have done so again. Been feeling sick for a few days now, struggling to keep any food down and also got constant pain in the area of my liver
Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I haven't had any liver problems. But don't worry excessively. You are going soon to the doctor, aren't you? You have to be honest with him and talk about your drinking. Alcoholism is a very common problem, so he wont be surprised at all. You are young. Usually any liver problems related to alcohol disappear when you stop drinking.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It always get worse, never better. Unless you stop drinking.