Notices

An admission - I am facing serious prison time

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Wow. Your post has been on my mind since I first read it. I have dogs and they are the loves of my life. To think I could have harmed one of them in a blackout is a serious reality check. Even at 9 months living the sober life, a check like this is appreciated.

Next time I contemplate having that "one" drink I will remind myself of this. Yet another tool for my kit. Thank you for your honesty - I know your behavior was extremely hard to admit and I pray it never happens again. Please heed the advise of others and put your doggie in a safe place until you get your head in a better place and can trust yourself not to harm your precious pup.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Memberado

I too have been thinking of this post on and off throughout the day.

The behavior you describe reminds me of the kind of stuff that I would have been capable of in the last 9-12 months of my drinking. In blackouts, I would be capable of horrible deeds (and words!) without any consideration for the consequences. And every time I blacked out my behavior escalated.

I'm not saying that your case is the same as mine, but at this stage of my active alcoholism I had become a savage monster. My perception of reality was entirely warped and no amount of "reasoning" would have been effective because even in the moments when I thought I was sober, the alcohol was controlling my mind.

I saw several shrinks and doctors who did not think I needed help to quit drinking. How misinformed they were!

For me, the concrete action (that saved my life and saved a lot of other people from harm, I am convinced), was to Google the closest AA meeting and go there. Just sit quiet and listen if you have nothing to say. I believe those who say that this is a disease, and unfortunately, the doctors I have seen have not had a very good understanding of it. I feel the only safe place for me was with other people with a lot of knowledge about this condition and that for me was and is AA.

Things will get better for you. A thousand times better, but now is a time for action. Laying in bed, being paranoid about what kind of a punishment you will face, is not the way to go I think.

Big hugs to you!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was facing jail time earlier this year as I got my 3rd DUI and crashed my car. What I did was show that I'm no longer drinking with an alcohol monitor around my ankle and took the report to my court date along with the monitor still around my ankle. I also took a report of alcohol meetings. Seeing that I was trying to better my life I was given many days of community service which ill take any day over jail or prison. Show the judge you're turning your life around. But actually do it. Sobriety is wonderful.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I hope that poor baby is ok. If they did not take her away, do her a favor and find her the loving home she deserves.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Shaun, I was so sad to read this. I feel like I know you and was really knocked for a loop that you relapsed and then all this.

Get into and work a solid recovery program. Get a good lawyer. Use every connection you can to ask round and find a good one. Make sure the dog has a good home.

I just hate this whole situation and the bottom line is this. Drinking helped NOTHING...but caused a LOT of damage and laid the way for a lot more serious damage. Had enough?

Join the ranks of the finally, truly and for real sober ones.

We don't want to lose you.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Memberado

Looking back at myself, when I was in the end stages of my drinking, I was in such a state that no amount of threatening or lecturing would have "scared me straight". On the contrary!

The key issue, for me, was that I had no idea what "recovery" meant. Recovery from what? I thought I was doing pretty fine even though "all this horrible stuff" seemed to be happening and the common denominator was me. In my alcoholic, grandiose manner I used to tell people: I attract drama, boohoo!

I hope that the person who was brave enough to post about his troubles, in much detail, on this message forum keeps the momentum up and immerses himself in a recovery program. I really didn't understand how most of the things in AA meetings (the meetings themselves, 12 steps, Higher Power etc etc.) had anything to do with me or my drinking.

But here I am after 6 months sober and all those horrible things (legal problems, huge money problems, aggressive behavior I couldn't remember the next day) have stopped happening.

First things first. Putting down the bottle and finding a recovery program were the very first steps I had to take in order for all the bad things to stop.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
one of many

Shaun you are a good guy, your posts have helped me over the last few months. I agree with the other poster who said get the best LAWYER possible. And to you people wagging fingers, who knows what the facts are. He's a foreigner in a non-english country, in a drunken state, it wouldn't take much to **** off the locals into calling the police.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't know about others but I'm a bit concerned that Shaun hasn't posted again. I do hope he's coping and not falling further into the abyss...
I hope he lets us know soon how he's doing, and how his dog is too.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You need get as many Spanish on your side with letters to the judge.
1. From A Spanish AA Member., Spanish Sponsor. The more the better showing your progress.
2. From the local Spanish vet saying that dog has been inspected and is in fact ok, so there must be a little exaggeration.
3. From A Spanish Doctor saying you are in recovery and receiving treatment and counselling.
4. A few Spanish to wright of your normal good character
5. The most expensive and well known to the judge, legal expert team
6. Your old Spanish employer , good character again.
7. Priest, respected view, letter. Asked for God's forgiveness etc
This may well cost you many thousands of Euro, and perhaps lots of Spanish might want a little consideration for their trouble, Doctors fees, Psychiatrist fees, a donation to the church, who knows, their attendance in Court even to speak personally of your progress, but I think you can not take the risk. Spend every penny if you have to.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by

The key issue, for me, was that I had no idea what "recovery" meant. Recovery from what? I thought I was doing pretty fine even though "all this horrible stuff" seemed to be happening and the common denominator was me. In my alcoholic, grandiose manner I used to tell people: [I
I attract drama, boohoo![/I]
Me too! At first I thought I was in recovery FROM addiction, but now, a ways in, I realize what I am doing is recovering my life, the life I was given at birth. I'm getting back opportunities for happiness and fulfillment.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Numerous posts were removed and this thread is done.