Notices

7 months today :)

Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 months today :)

I wasn't going to post today but then remembered how many times I couldn't even go three or four days without drinking. Some weeks I was "proud" to limit it to every other day.

So, 7 months, yes, I should post about that. For those still struggling to get a couple of days--if you keep trying, eventually they add up.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I'm on day 15 and so far, so good :-) any tips for us newbies?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
My warmest congratulations, Octsobermate!

Thanks for posting - it's a great reason to be proud of!

Best luck to you)
Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done...those months keep adding up don't they?

Xx
Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months! That is awesome. Thank you for sharing, you are a wonderful inspiration!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ams0602 View Post
Congratulations! I'm on day 15 and so far, so good :-) any tips for us newbies?
Thanks everyone!

In addition to working out daily, earlier on I detailed (in another thread) what I think is working for me this time. So, rather than type it all out again--I am being lazy and just cutting and pasting it.

1. Admitted I was an alcoholic. Not a problem drinker, not I had a problem, not I need to stop drinking for awhile, not I have to just not drink hard liquor, not I can't drink on an empty stomach, not I can only drink on the weekends, not I can only drink at special occasions, not I can only drink while out socially. I know I cannot drink today or ever again. I remind myself daily. I don't obsess or lament about it. It just is. Just as I am a 5 1" female, I am an alcoholic. And that is ok. I am no worse, or better, than any other alcoholic.

2. I come to SR daily. I read the new threads. Sometimes I randomly pick old threads and read them through. I pay attention to successes. I also pay attention to those who fail. I post when I can, but most importantly, I read and learn.

3. I go to therapy weekly to discuss how I am feeling with my therapist--both about alcohol and other difficult life situations that are currently happening in my life. My therapist knows I am alcoholic and supports what I am currently doing to stay sober.

4. I attend AA meetings 2-3 times a week and have recently gotten a sponsor. Despite for many years thinking AA was not for me, I went/go with an open mind. I enjoy the fellowship. I am reading the Big Book and plan on reading it again. While I can't relate to everything that is said during a meeting, I get comfort from the fellowship and know I am doing the right thing by attending meetings and being willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober today. I pay attention to those things I can relate to and keep an open mind about the things I cannot. I am feeling more spiritual (not religious) than I ever have, and I attribute that piece of my recovery to AA. I am aiming for progress, and not perfection.

5. I pay attention to my thoughts surrounding alcohol. I consider drinking alcohol for me, a moral failure going forward. Just as I would never try to harm another (or steal, cheat etc) I consider alcohol harmful for me, and thus I cannot drink it. Any thought that leads me towards drinking, I attribute to my addict voice and dismiss and ignore as best and as quickly as I can. I am a member of the no matter what club. No matter what happens, good or bad, in life--I know that drinking another drop of alcohol will never make it better--only worse. It won't make me feel better, only worse. The guilt and the shame won't be better, only worse. There is nothing good left in alcohol for me. The active part of my alcoholism is done. So today I won't drink. And I plan on making that same choice every day for the rest of my life. One day at a time, gratefully.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SavingSelf View Post
I wasn't going to post today but then remembered how many times I couldn't even go three or four days without drinking. Some weeks I was "proud" to limit it to every other day.

So, 7 months, yes, I should post about that. For those still struggling to get a couple of days--if you keep trying, eventually they add up.

Way to go!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations SavingSelf

D
Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations SavingSelf!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 months xx
Old 05-27-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations on 7months sober savingself.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats! As a noob here I love reading posts like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good going! The days and months do add up. The surprising thing, at least for me, is how much easier it gets once you have a few months under your belt.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful

Congrats SavingSelf, you should be proud reaching 7 months of sobriety!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

SavingSelf, 7 months sober? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
For those still struggling to get a couple of days--if you keep trying, eventually they add up. You darn tootin they do! 2 years 10 months here!