Notices

Scared of Summer

Old 05-26-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool Scared of Summer

I have 6 months of sobriety - and summer is here. It is the hardest time - thus far. I am realizing that all of the things I would look forward to (parties, picnics, beach) involved alcohol and were organized around it. I am afraid of going to things and seeing people because (1) I will obsess about the alcohol around me - how much everyone is drinking. I will miss having a drink. (2) I don't feel comfortable in my skin around lots of people with out alcohol. I've been staying home a lot and it feels like hiding. The weather is getting really nice - I want to enjoy summer, but I don't know how.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you are feeling. Instead of being excited for lake cabins and boating I'm dreading it. Today was tough at a BBQ. But I feel awesome knowing I stayed strong and didn't drink. I think I'm going to try and add some new activities to my summer that I can focus on instead of just the events that are driven by drinking. I am just as curious as you to what others have done in the summer months.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have just come back from a little vacation by the sea and like you I was terrified that I would be tempted to drink, because every other time we went there we'd all get blind drunk. But I needn't have worried, I didn't drink and I didn't miss it.
I took long walks with my dog and I have to say waking up in the mornings was a joy...no hangovers. I couldn't have asked for a better holiday.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely understand!!! I feel crazy in my head these days!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I want to enjoy summer, but I don't know how.

Its all in the mind, the addicted mind. You are giving up nothing and gaining everything.

Second summer sober for me now, could thing of nothing worse than following everyone else pouring poison down my throat ba ba ba.

Grind it out peeps see it for what it is !
Old 05-27-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand too. I'm coming up for 6 months sober. Yesterday was a hot day,Sunday afternoon,holiday weekend,went to a neighbour's for relaxing Sunday afternoon and food. It was a perfect day for drinking wine all afternoon. I was tempted but didn't,so glad I didn't but worried that this will be a regular thing all summer. I suppose it's important to find new ways to enjoy things and make new associations. Many people enjoy sober activites. I'm not finding it as hard as in the beginning,eg Christmas etc but makes me realize I must still be cautious.

Welcome to SR btw and Congrats on 6 months I'm in the December 2012 class which is a great source of support -maybe you'll find it helpful too
Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The thing you liked most about the summer wasn't the alcohol, it was the sun! And that's still there (sometimes). Okay, so you associate summer with drinking, but for me I associated winter spring and autumn with drinking too. It's all about changing your associations. Of course it will be tough if you try and hang out at the same parties and do the same things you usually do. But if you try and change your associations it will really help. Join a hiking club, take dogs out continually if you have them. Any sporting beach activities you have to be sober to do...?
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This will be my 2nd summer clean & sober.Last week it was really hot.I associate hot days with drinking.Then I thought to myself that I thought of everyday as a good day for drinking and drugging.Staying at home is not the answer for me.My new AA friends have great parties and cookouts all the time.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This will be my second summer sober. I too was anxious about not drinking last summer, as I used to love to sip wine while I gardened or floated in the pool. I started taking long walks and was surprised how many neighbors were out and about....it felt good to catch up with all of them and not worry about having wine on my breath. It was great to be awake after dark, not passed out.....and the very best part was the wonderful early summer mornings! Totally sober, clear headed....and hot coffee never tasted so good
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm worried about the summer too. I work in a school system so I will be on an extended time-off shortly. While I enjoy the break and it is a great "Mommy-job" and it gives me time to work on research, it makes me worried. I've been talking about it in therapy as well as trying to think of things ahead of time to keep me busy. The reality is that when I drank I became highly unmotivated and it usually ended with me in a dark bar on a sunny day or passed out on my couch; there is so much to the summer that I will be able to explore that I haven't experienced in a loooooooong time.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 6 months sober!

My suggestion is to change your routines. I know it won't be easy, but maybe try some new summer activities that don't revolve around alcohol. Bike riding, golf, tennis - there are lots of things you can do that hopefully won't trigger you to want to drink.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Approaching 6 months here too. I have a lot of the same thoughts. But I am looking forward to enjoying summer sober. I am focused on staying well hydrated and enjoying the nice weather. Sure the thoughts of cold beers and margaritas pop up time to time... But I have a lot of tools which ensure I don't have to act on those thoughts. If I enjoyed those times so much I wouldn't have quit drinking in the first place.