Notices

Day 8 - Much better focus but what's with the anxiety?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 - Much better focus but what's with the anxiety?

I'm just finishing up with day eight, and in some ways, I feel so much better than I have in months. I used to drink to get through lengthy written assignments for school, and I'm now finding (the long-buried teenager in me wants to say "duh") that my focus and the quality of my writing is so much better when I'm sober. I'm also much more productive around the house, have better and more thoughtful conversations with friends, and am waking up earlier and in a better mood. All around wonderful, except ...

I can't kick the mini anxiety attacks I have at night. I just start to feel anxious when getting ready to go to bed (it's starting now), and I'm not sure how to relax. I'm also not quite sure what's up with the anxiety. Things are actually great for me right now, and I'm not even sure what I'm anxious about. It's just a generalized bundle of nerves making it difficult to sleep. Anyone else experience something similar? Does this go away after a while naturally or is it something that I need to more specifically address?
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am going threw something very similar myself.It must be part of it.I am on day 5 myself.I feel sharper in my mind in ways but feel anxiety and kinda hazy at times.Your not alone friend.I am sure someone will be along shortly with some insight.
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a pretty common side effect I think.
Did you have anxiety issues before?

D
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Went away for me after a couple weeks. Everyone is different though. If you have any real concerns check with a Doc if you can. A clean diet and exercise seemed to help me as well. Cutting back on Caffeine too.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Stubbs. It's helpful even to know that someone else is experiencing something similar. Congrats on day 5!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, I have at times in the past had issues with anxiety, but it's always been situation-specific (i.e. before/after a move, during/after the death of a family member). It's new to me to be unable to pinpoint the cause. Thanks for the thoughts!

ElegantlyWasted, thank you for sharing your experience. Exercise and cutting back on caffeine are good advice. Now that you've mentioned it, I'm realizing that although I've been very busy this past week, I haven't been able to spend much time outdoors, and I've upped the caffeine intake since quitting drinking. Something to think about.