Notices

Thought I could do it

Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thought I could do it

Hi everyone. Its been about five months since I logged onto this site. I went five months clean from alcohol until the day of my wedding 5/2. It started with a champagne toast (small) then half of a mojito that was shoved in my face after me saying no three times, to drinking at least one time per weekend since. I have not yet gotten to the point of not being able to stop or wanting a drink alone, ect. However, I know that my obessessing about wondering if I am able to drink moderatley has overcome me. I started taking online tests to see if I was actually an alcoholic to begin with and seeing a therapist who is a chemical dependancy counselor that thinks I just abused alcohol to cope maladaptively but did not have the actual disease. I initially quit without AA or any type of group therapy and did not require any medical monitoring or treatment. Long story short, how does it start with relapsing back to where you started? Is this even possible? I have not yet come to accept that I can NEVER drink again. Someone please help!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure what you're asking byebye?

For arguments sake, lets go with what your counsellor thinks.

I think, if I was using something in a maladaptive way, & I didn't have to have that something in my life (ie it wasn't a necessity) it would be safest for me not to be using that something.

Chances are I'd end up back where I started from...probably not right away, but inevitably.

D
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You know you are probably right. I never want to end up drinking everyday. I also never want drinking to control my life. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

For me its my addicted brain that I have to change. I'm unable to have that first glass of wine/beer/liquor because it restarts my addicted brain. I've had plenty of periods where I restart drinking after some sober time only to have it go out of control within a handful of weeks. My brain made alcohol/drugs a number one priority when I crossed over from casual use to addiction. So if I have a drink, my brains memory of years of addiction behavior and thoughts get kicked in to drive, in my case overdrive.

The AVRT gets to the point on never drinking again well. I'm an ODAAT or use the
24 hrs program. That is not drink today and see what comes the next day. Usually better emotional/mental/physical health as the sober days add up.