Notices

Anxiety was caused by alcohol?

Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
What I've learned is that alcohol is a depressant drug. (Any thing that is mind and mood altering is a drug) The withdrawal process from a depressant is often the opposite of it's effects when taking it.....for me, I believe that this is why as an alcoholic when I was detoxing I was really anxious and panicky. When I drank I was anything but anxious.
I agree with this soberclover, too. The weight of constant alcohol consumption makes things go a little whacko when it is removed. The anxiety I felt during those dark hours of the soul were actually withdrawal symptoms, sobering up, I suppose. These indeed got pretty acute for the first several days when I was drying out.

We don't have to experience that misery but once. Onward!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ersatzmatriarch View Post
is this really true? the anxiety and anger and panic might stem from the thing (wine) i use to stop those things?!

my mind is blown right now. i just got to the point where i saw the drinking at the root of those things. i can't remember back farther... how do i find a way to see it? how do i find what it really is?

does time sober help... because i truly want to fix what i broke to get here...

and for the original poster... we're here now. that can only be a good thing. i wish all of us peace through this...
I certainly see alcohol as exacerbating the problems encountered by alcoholics greatly. IMO some folk may need some extra counselling or some anti depressant meds for a while.
Alcohol solves nothing, creates misery, is ultra short term,........and sadly very tricky and addictive.