Notices

Hello everyone

Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi lux. Good to see you posting. I'm glad that you are doing well. Have a great rest of the evening!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Lux, I get where you're coming from with this energy and clear headedness - my 3 year old is definitely loving having a happier more fun mum and I've started working out - I figure I may aswell get in shape physically as well as mentally. Day 10 and life is good right now - I hope for many more days feeling like this (as well as some freakin sunshine here in the uk)

It's good to hear you doing well too - keep us posted
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mmm yes, our sobriety is something that everyone can enjoy, not just us. I'm sure your three year old is having a great time with you

I think exercise is important in any recovery. Sometimes it's just 'something to do', but it also gives some natural highs as well as boosting our self-confidence. The important thing about it, I think, is that it is fun. Some people exercise as if it's self-torture, and those exercise regimes don't last so long

I have another exam today and then a party that I haven't had much time to think about on Friday. The party is important socially since I have just started a summer course at the university and it would be good to get to know everyone. The downside is that I'm day 9 sober My experiment was that I was allowed to drink socially max twice a week, which would mean that I'm allowed to drink. But I actually don't feel like it... so playing with the idea of how I would stay sober and what I would say to people who are wondering why.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi lux. Decisions to make. You can always take your 9 days and move on into the 10 th. There may be people at this party that do not drink
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuxAeterna View Post
The downside is that I'm day 9 sober My experiment was that I was allowed to drink socially max twice a week, which would mean that I'm allowed to drink. But I actually don't feel like it... so playing with the idea of how I would stay sober and what I would say to people who are wondering why.
Congrats on those 9 days Lux, that's awesome

Personally I have learnt a lot about myself and ways of coping since getting sober and I wish I had done that sooner. At college I think a lot of people gave me a wide berth because of my drinking, which suited me fine. The idea of sitting around drinking coffee in the evening was abhorrent to me then. But in retrospect I think I missed out on a lot by having to drink all the time. Now I am sober a social event has to be actually enjoyable to hold my interest and it has made a massive difference in the people I hang out with and social events I get involved with.

The worry about how to stay sober and what to say about it is something everyone here has experience of, and I guess this is the real experiment here. In theory we should be able to make a decision not to drink and stick to it. I tried that and never could which took me one step closer to abstinence. Regarding what to say, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone. You can just say I'm not drinking tonight. If your friends have a problem with that then they might be like I used to be and quite possibly could be alcoholics I found parties early in my sobriety really tough though and I wonder if it would be a good idea for you to stay sober for a few months, at least 3-6, so you get a better idea of what it's like being sober. It takes a while to get used to and it took me a few months to realise it was better. Good luck woth whatever you decide x