Notices

Adult Child of an Alcoholic Mother

Old 05-25-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adult Child of an Alcoholic Mother

Hi Everyone. I am new to the site. My family and I are going through a pretty hard time, well it's been a pretty hard life... I am an Adult Daughter whose family has only recently (the past two years) started talking about my mother's alcoholism.

What Occurred
About two years ago, she got a DUI (her BAC was 3 times the legal limit). Our family surrounded her to help her. She went to court and was good (ie sobriety) for a year and a half. Once the interlock was taken off the car, she has gone back to drinking. It's actually gotten really bad, or maybe I'm noticing it more since it was happening for awhile.

Why I am here
I am here to help myself. I have only recently read Perfect daughters: adult daughters of alcoholics by Ackerman, and man, that book made me cry. I now know that I need to focus on myself, and to learn what it is to be a "normal" person. Luckily, my sisters and I are supportive of one another, and my boyfriend is an amazing rock for me during this time. I hope that I learn a lot from you, and maybe you will even learn from me.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you recognize the need to work on yourself.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We have a forum for adult children of addicted/alcoholic parents. Give it a look.

Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 05-26-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you two for welcoming me

Least, I stumbled upon this place b/c of the adult children of addicted/alcoholic parents forum
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers

You may find some great info here as well.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad your here! Have you tried any ACOA meetings? I grew up with alcoholic parents and it is crazy how accurately most of the 14 traits of an ACOA describe me. I did not think that I was very affected by it until a therapist pointed it out and I read the literature.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Mae

D
Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! We are glad you are here! It's stories like yours that keep me on track. As much as I don't want this for me anymore even more so I don't want that for my kids!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us, Mae. There is a wealth of information, experience and support here at SR. From my very first post here, members guided me to an understanding of myself I never thought possible.

Best to you.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

sparky78 - I've actually never attended any Al-Anon meeting. People tried to talk me into going to an Al-teen meeting when I was a teen, but I was terrified that my mother would find out. When my mother was first in recovery, we found an open meeting of AA so that I could attend with her for moral support.