Notices

Greetings, New Here

Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings, New Here

Hello,

I decided to join this site on a whim, as I was looking through a number of helpful posts on alcohol detox. At this point, I am still an active alcoholic, as I am afraid that if I stop, I will risk my life. My work is in a position right now where I will not have a spare weekend to check myself into a hospital for detox--at least not for another week.

I'm terrified, to be perfectly honest.

It's very strange to me that I ended up in the position. I moved to New York City nearly five years ago for work. At that point in my life, I didn't drink. I didn't need to, it just simply wasn't something on my radar. Then work functions, there would always be alcohol. Then dating, alcohol. I grew into it. About two years ago I began to drink alone, and I started to use it to combat stress and loneliness.

Now, it has reached a problem beyond what I could have ever imagined. My tolerance has become so high that I can't go a night without drinking. If I stopped suddenly, I'd bear the consequences. I certainly feel out of control with it, though I'm professionally high functioning--for now. My fear is all I stand to lose. I'm addicted.

Pleased to meet you all.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please sit down with your Doctor tell him/her what is going on , they will be only to pleased to help you to get sober , i know that keeping hold of my job won't keep me sober , God Bless
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi lalutte - I hope you're ok! Just wanted to say hello . There seems to be loads of therapys and ways to try to give up alcahol - there are also some drugs available to help here in the uk so am sure your dr could help you - just a thought

Wishing you all the best x
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.... we are all in the same boat to one degree or another.
I personally found SR to be very helpful. Reading all the stories really helps me stay on the right path. I hope it helps you too.
Good luck to you
Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I found myself in a situation similar to yours.

Between SR and AA I managed to get and stay sober. I needed some medical help with the physical addiction (actually, more than once, since I'm sorta a slow learner when it comes to alcohol use). Fortunately for me, a few valium and 48 hours of abstinence did the trick.

Getting sober wasn't that hard. Staying sober was.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Bienvenue La Lutte

I used to live in NY and this is where I got sober the first time around. If you want to check out AA, try the "Mustard Seed" 8 am Round Robin. It used to be my home group. There are tons of good meeting in Manhattan. Also NU Garden is an excellent group which meets 3 times a week

139 West 31st Street, 3rd Floor,
(Betw 6th & 7th Avenues) NY 10001

All meetings are non-smoking.
Sundays From 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Meeting Type S = Step meeting

Thursdays From 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Meeting Type OD = Open Discussion meeting

Saturdays From 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Meeting Type OD = Open Discussion meeting

(that meeting is awesome with lots of women with long term sobriety).
If you need detox, you can check yourself at the Detox at the Staten Island Hospital (Bellevue sucks) and if from there you chose to go to rehab, I d suggest South Beach in Staten Island, a lot of the fancy schmanzy Connecticut rehabs are not covered by most insurances (especially Blue Cross)
In the interim, check out the site and see what other recovery options are out there.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LaLutteContinue

if you're worried about withdrawal it really is best to see a Dr.
Health really is a priority I think. Without good health everything else goes down the pan.

I think most Drs suggest a lot of other things before inpatient detox, but if the Dr suggests that, and you really feel you can't, you could always canvass other options with them

D
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR LaLutte. We're happy to have you with us. I think you'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for.

I wasn't sober when I first came limping in here, either. I knew something had to change but I was so afraid to let go of it. My life was in shambles and I was completely dependent on it. The more I read here, the more I wanted to give sobriety a try. I never expected to find so many people just like me. Everyone understood what I was going through. I found the courage to change - and you can too. We're glad you're here.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also suggest talking to your dr because he could very well offer an option other than inpatient. SR will offer you lots of support.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaLutteContinue View Post
At that point in my life, I didn't drink. I didn't need to, it just simply wasn't something on my radar. Then work functions, there would always be alcohol. Then dating, alcohol. I grew into it. About two years ago I began to drink alone, and I started to use it to combat stress and loneliness.
Hi LaLutteContine,

This was me, exactly. It started in my late 20's, continued and only got worse ... until I took my last drink 20 days ago. I ask myself everyday how it happened, but the reality is this is a disease and it just sneaks up on you and takes, takes, takes. I agree with others advice, see your Dr and start the process of getting your life back. This site and the people on here have helped me so much. We are here for you if you need us
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome LaLutte, you've found a good place. You will find a lot of support here.

As a binge drinker I've not had to detox, but I know stopping cold without medical supervision is dangerous. However, would it be possible for you to reduce your intake of alcohol until you see a Dr.?