SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Lapsed at 6 months (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295767-lapsed-6-months.html)

David10 05-25-2013 12:07 PM

Lapsed at 6 months

Been feeling stressed lately went out and got drunk on Thursday. It was nowhere near as good as I thought it would be. It felt kind of dirty. I've decided to quit again right now while the cravings are still weak. So back on Day 1. :headbange

LadyinBC 05-25-2013 12:20 PM

Okay you screwed up. However you have 6 months of sober time that no one can take away from you. Concentrate on what kept you going during those 6 months.

I think it is important to think about why we did it, but don't beat yourself up over it either.

MidnightBlue 05-25-2013 12:22 PM

Hi, David.

First, stop banging your head against the wall - it won't take addiction voice out of your head. Most people learn from their own mistakes, it's ok.

Experience is the most hard-gained thing in life. You've got yours. Now you know that it's really not worth it, and you'll shift to another stage of your sobriety.

Dust yourself off, amend your plan if needed, and move forward.

These six months are not lost, it's your asset. You are armed and on guard now.

Keep your chin up)

Take care

Hevyn 05-25-2013 12:29 PM

Hi David. Glad you came here to talk about what happened.

I agree with the others - the 6 sober months aren't lost. You still stayed sober for a good stretch of time. It's good that you didn't let it turn into a binge. I'm sure I wouldn't have stopped at just one day - which is why I can't risk ever picking up again. You said it wasn't as good as you imagined it would be. You are so right! Once we cross that line, there's no going back to fun or social drinking. It always leads us right back to trouble and misery. You learned something David - and you're back on track.

soberclover 05-25-2013 01:24 PM

Thank you for the confirmation that it isn't worth it. I just hit my six months a few days ago. The past few days I've wanted to drink at times, but your sharing makes me realize it isn't worth it. I'm proud of you for your decision to not keep drinking.

ElegantlyWasted 05-25-2013 01:38 PM

Awesome D10 that you're back after that... Last time I did that it ended up being a 2 years and change detour on the Crazy Train.

:bling:

Dee74 05-25-2013 03:16 PM

welcome back David :)
Have you thought about what you might do differently this time?

D

1newcreation 05-25-2013 03:23 PM

Good to have u back sir!
An old timer said @ a mtg this wk that u can't drink on truth...I thot that was soo good what she said. Think about it-once u're doing the steps, going to mtgs & helping others doing service work & u decide to go back out, u're NOT going to enjoy it @ all. In the back of u're head as u sip that drink, u're conscience is eating @ u so badly its not worth it since we know the truth in recovery
Get back in the saddle & let's think b4 we drink
Best wishes

sassu78 05-25-2013 03:25 PM

David, you should be very proud of yourself for jumping right back on the horse!

I'm glad to see you here :)

instant 05-25-2013 03:35 PM

David I found staying with SR got me through that period when I thought it was all behind me was helpful. A small dose of daily SR is a powerful thing.

Bubovski 05-25-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by instant (Post 3983655)
David I found staying with SR got me through that period when I thought it was all behind me was helpful. A small dose of daily SR is a powerful thing.

Thanks David.
I have had quite long periods of sobriety, along with many slips.
Your six months was good and you can do even better.
I am cautiouslylooking forward to my fist anniversary, while taking
ONE DAY AT A TIME:react