Notices

Nervous

Old 05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous

Hi, I'm a recovering alcoholic. I'm nervous to leave my house because of triggers. Lately my mate has shown a lot of rage (punching walls) because I am scared to leave my house. I've had long periods of sobriety but lately, I'm new to the path--2 days at most, but often. The withdrawal makes my "tone" and my willingness to go out is antithetical to what everyone in my life wants. I hope this group can understand me more than those around me.

Hello,
Mirel
Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mirel.

I'm glad you found us. We are all here helping ourselves and each other.

It concerns meet greatly that your mate is punching walls in a fit of rage. Does your mate have a drinking/using problem too?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mirel,

Welcome!

Good for you for deciding to stop drinking. Please know that you do not need to live in an abusive situation. I hope you can make a plan to take care of your physical safety. There are Women's Shelters in most cities where you can find refuge and safety.

And, please don't let what others want you to do, rule your life. You have the right to choose to stay in or go out and in early recovery it's important to remember to choose things that feel right to you.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mirel - there's a lot of support and wisdom here

D
Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He doesn't drink and he isn't abusive to me. He is just has a problem with his anger, and it makes him angry I've have multiple 2 days sober in the last 3 weeks, but can't get past my 3rd day. I'm "nervous" about the 3rd day. I've quit for half a year, 2 years, and 9 months in the past but I just can't get that 3rd day this time. 2 years ago when I had been about a month sober we found out his mom had a fatal tumor, we moved home to take care of her and I stayed sober months living with his mom and dad (no small feat). She died, and I don't think he dealt with it. We moved back to his home that is very religious and patriarchal.
Long story short, I'm trying yet again to get sober, but every time the withdrawal gets worse. In this community all the AA groups I can find are closed to men. My therapist is ok. But I really miss the support I had in our old state. Please don't worry. I'm safe. Just scared of kindling since I've quit so much.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to a very friendly and supportive site.

There are no AA meetings that allow men in your area? That doesn't sound right. There's got to be meetings for men and/or women. At least in my small city there are.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No all the AA meeting are for men. I'm just going at it in a community where woman have kids and men work. The fact I have a drinking problem makes me a ***** or an outsider. "Closed" to men here means only men. I'm not sure about AA anyway because I don't believe in god, but at this point I'll do anything. I've even taken antabuse without any warning that my perfume and face wash can give me hives. I'd do that now, but antabuse seems to give me worse pain in my liver than 3 beers. Who knows. I guess I just need more willpower like my family says...