SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   shakes and chills months after last drink? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295714-shakes-chills-months-after-last-drink.html)

zany90 05-24-2013 05:32 PM

shakes and chills months after last drink?

im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if its normal. This is my first decent stretch of sobriety in 8 years and im loving it. but right now i feel chills and a shakyness, earlier i was at a meeting and i was a little nervous but when i was pouring the coffee or lifting the cup, my hands were shaking like the old days, really visibly... so i was a bit self conscious of that :/

Dee74 05-24-2013 05:36 PM

Depending on how long you've been sober lots of people experience stuff like that Zany.

I don't want to discourage you from seeing a Dr though because I really think that's the best thing to do - always best to be safe :)

good to see you again :)

D

zany90 05-24-2013 05:39 PM

lol i was actually going to sign up under a different name, but then i figured hopefully noone will remember me haha. i was still in denial the last time i was here.

ive been sober 6 months apart from a mistake 3 months ago. 3 months sustained, bang, got up dusted myself off and got another three months. so thats major progress for me compared to the past lol. i feel much different this time mentally its impossible to explain.

but yeah my hands are absolutely freezing and that shakyness, i hate it. its not a regular occurance but today especially its been quite annoying. i really dont like how visible it was when i was nervous it was as bad as they would shake if i drank a bottle of rum the night before

sparky78 05-24-2013 05:46 PM

My hands stopped shaking after a few weeks to a month. However, a lot of medications have shakiness as a side effect, I take a steroid asthma inhaler that can make me shaky for a few hours after taking it when I haven't been using it regularly. Benzos can also make you shaky when they wear off. As a kid, my hands always got shaky when I got nervous, for instance during presentations, so I think I'm naturally prone to this when my anxiety is high. But you might want to check with your doctor to be safe.

sugarbear1 05-24-2013 06:17 PM

Seems petty normal at 3 months of sobriety.

Go to a doctor if you are still concerned.

zany90 05-24-2013 06:29 PM

no thats fine im not really worried about it. i was just curious, i really didnt think shakyness would still be an issue after 3 months, i thought it was really only acute withdrawal...

did you guys notice a higher level of anxiety when you quit (i suspect yes), but more importantly, how long did it take before the anxiety subsided? with me its pretty much social anxiety im fine until im around other people i dont know and then i feel very uncomfortable and am very quiet - but this is probably the reason why i drank in the first place

Torso 05-24-2013 06:36 PM

Go see your doc....

but.... look up alcoholic hypoglycemia.

zany90 05-24-2013 07:26 PM

thanks il look that up

one thing ive noticed is that since i quit alcohol i am drinking far far too much coca cola.. all the sugar and caffeine cant help - going to have to start cutting down on that too :/ lol

Anna 05-24-2013 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by zany90 (Post 3982572)
did you guys notice a higher level of anxiety when you quit (i suspect yes), but more importantly, how long did it take before the anxiety subsided? with me its pretty much social anxiety im fine until im around other people i dont know and then i feel very uncomfortable and am very quiet - but this is probably the reason why i drank in the first place

Yes, anxiety levels for me were still quite high when I stopped drinking and it took awhile, several months, before I felt like I had some control over those feelings. Social anxiety is something I still have and I suspect I always will. The difference now is that I accept it and don't blame myself for it or try to medicate it away. Meditation and breathing exercises can help a lot with anxiety.