SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New Here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295684-new-here.html)

shooter50 05-24-2013 12:03 PM

New Here

I am new here and just wanted to say hello. I will give a little of my information. I am 29 years old and have kind of known I have had a problem since I was in my early 20's even though I wouldn't be honest with myself about it. I started drinking in my early teens by stealing it from family. My wife has left me and taken my daughter. I am getting in trouble at work and I am starting to have some health issues. I have a very good job that pays very well and the rumors (most aren't tho) are really floating around there about me. I have been in and out of AA for 3 weeks or so but tonight at midnight will be 7 days on the wagon for me. I cry as I type this because my head/mind is so screwed up. I want my family back and I don't want to lose my job. I was a very heavy drinker usually going through about 3/4 of a gallon of cheap vodka on a day (with a few beer's) off from work and usually would drink about 16-32 oz while I was actually at work and pour down as much as I could after until I passed out. I feel lost and alone. I would have though after 6 days on the wagon I wouldn't still be craving and wanting a drink so bad. I have to force myself into a store to buy groceries or something because I know the alcohol will be there. I do a lot of reading in the AA Big Book and find that very helpful. Anyway I plan to be surfing around here and just wanted to introduce myself.

least 05-24-2013 12:31 PM

:welcome I was sick and tired of my life too when I quit drinking. Sick of what I'd lost and sick of who I'd become.:( But it is possible to get and stay sober. I did it with the help of this site and my counselor. There are many ways to get sober. Find the way that works for you and work it as if your life depends on it... cause it does.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family! :hug:

Dollyangel17 05-24-2013 12:37 PM

Welcome! It isn't easy, but the reward is worth it! I am a little over three weeks sober, and still get some cravings, but they do get better from the 1st week point. I have heard here, that they will continue to get better and I look forward to that.

Post as often as you like, and you will find lots of support here. It's very helpful!:welcome

ImperfectlyMe 05-24-2013 01:22 PM

Welcome shooter ( if that's any reference to happy Gilmore... Love it)
I could hear the sadness in your post. I'm so very sorry about your wife and daughter leaving. Perhaps that's what it took fir a wake up. You have the power to change all of the future and the right now!
We're all here to support you. You made a great decision quitting and coming here

Dee74 05-24-2013 02:52 PM

Welcome to SR Shooter :)

D

sassu78 05-24-2013 03:23 PM

Welcome Shooter!! :welcome

I know everything looks bad now but it will get better! You can do this!

Washi 05-24-2013 03:25 PM

Hi Shooter50,
I feel for you man, I just joined myself. You will get the important things back in your life by staying sober. Work out the best plan for yourself, talk to those with experience, and hang out here. The chat rooms are great.
I don't know where you are in the world, but be safe in knowing at the same as you there are 1000s of us working to improve our lives. Whle geography may dictate distance, spirit brings us together.

Stay well,
Washi