SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Trying again for the umpteenth time (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295658-trying-again-umpteenth-time.html)

snipe 05-24-2013 07:08 AM

Trying again for the umpteenth time

I've been lurking for a long time but this is my first post.

I am trying to get sober, again. I've been struggling for the past few months. I managed to get sober for over a year a couple times in the past but then I feel complacent and start drinking again.

I've been honest with my doctor (he's been with me through my struggles for over a decade) and we've come up with this plan:

1. Get a sponsor and work the steps. I've been going to AA but haven't been doing the program or allowing anyone to keep me accountable.

2. Check in and post on this site every day.

3. Find a new therapist to help me with some non-addiction issues.

4. Work with a nutritionist/trainer recommended by my doctor to start treating my body right. In the past being physically healthy really helped me not want to drink.

Please wish me luck and I look forward to becoming an active participant.

Fit4life 05-24-2013 07:13 AM

I really like number 4 on your action plan. Your doctor is right, you take care of your body and things will eventually fall into place!
Good luck you can do it!

DAB 05-24-2013 07:16 AM

Welcome, Snipe!
It sounds like you have a fantastic plan in place!
My only advice is to not let yourself become complacent in AA.
Keep going to meetings, at least one a week, it helps keep you grounded.
You will make friends and have a great support system there.
I wish you all the best!:You_Rock_

Michael66 05-24-2013 07:17 AM

Hey snipe. Great decision!

On #2 you'll find a 24 hour sign up over in the Newcomer's Daily Support Threads part of the forum.

Nonsensical 05-24-2013 07:23 AM

:welcome

Looks like a plan of action. Awesome!

Saliena 05-24-2013 07:39 AM

I have also done all of these above... I am currently on #4... it took me alot longer to get there on this one then the rest. I never took care of my body, what I put into it or what came out of it. Now, being 38 I have lost 30 pounds... feel good, lookin HOT, and having a wonderful time 18 months into my sober living!

Good luck... it can be done!

Fit4life 05-24-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Saliena (Post 3981642)
I have also done all of these above... I am currently on #4... it took me alot longer to get there on this one then the rest. I never took care of my body, what I put into it or what came out of it. Now, being 38 I have lost 30 pounds... feel good, lookin HOT, and having a wonderful time 18 months into my sober living!

Good luck... it can be done!

GREAT ! Keep up the good work !

Dee74 05-24-2013 03:40 PM

sounds like a good plan Snipe - welcome to SR :)

D