Notices

Having a tough day

Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a tough day

25 days sober. Woke up this morning and felt ok. But now anxiety has been starting to creep up on me and I am feeling increasingly upset and stressed. Have a family gathering tomorrow, my cousin's birthday, with about 150 guests and I really don't want to go, feel stressed about being in these kind of situations, and especially now. I am not worried that I will drink, just don't know how to handle the anxiety. Also feel bad would I cancel on the family thing.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd suggest not going as you probably would feel a lot worse if you drank. If you do go bring along someone who has strong sobriety as a "protector" from the first drink. JMHO
BE WELL
Old 05-24-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your anxiety is normal. 25 days is great and if you can go to a party and not drink, then do it. Like Visch1 said, bring along a sober friend who can support you, if you go. It sounds like a lot of your anxiety is caused by your fear of social interaction and you are still uncertain if you can maintain sobriety.

Keep posting and stay strong. Anxiety is a part of healing.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Twenty five days is awesome!

With a 150 guests, is your absence really going to ruin your cousin's birthday? You have every right to say, "No thanks, I'm not feeling up to it." Oh sure, someone my give you grief for grief's sake. But I think you are placing too much importance on your involvement in this family affair.

Right now, your recovery is the most important thing you should be focusing on, not what you think other people will feel about your not being at a party.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you pop in and drop off your gift- then leave? Sometimes, one of my pets inexplicably has a stomach issue when such events arise... ;-) Obviously, I need to monitor them!!

All the other posters have offered great advice too!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have jus a little Faith and try not to rush things. You didn't get this way over night so be patient all things will come to those truly seek sobriety. After 9 years I still find myself in a struggle with a want to have just one!!! Be Happy and joyful watch a good comedy or find something to laugh at or with. My prayers will go out too you.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyDoctorFaith View Post
Have jus a little Faith and try not to rush things. You didn't get this way over night so be patient all things will come to those truly seek sobriety. After 9 years I still find myself in a struggle with a want to have just one!!! Be Happy and joyful watch a good comedy or find something to laugh at or with. My prayers will go out too you.
Good advice !
Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really like this one

Originally Posted by visch1 View Post
I'd suggest not going as you probably would feel a lot worse if you drank. If you do go bring along someone who has strong sobriety as a "protector" from the first drink. JMHO
BE WELL
Don't put yourself in harms way in just plane not worth it!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bob Marilee said it best "Don't worry, be happy" Every day is your birthday so here is a present just four you, Sobreia !7
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your kind advice and support. I am feeling a little less anxious and will see how I feel tomorrow, but might just skip the party. Need to do what feels right for me, pleasing others and making myself feel bad has often led me down the wrong path...
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have to be selfish if you want sobriety to stick. I think we all feel guilty at some point but take care of yourself first and foremost.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
You have to be selfish if you want sobriety to stick. I think we all feel guilty at some point but take care of yourself first and foremost.
Thank you Patty. I haven't made up my mind yet about the party. It is a 500km drive and I am going with my sister and brother, whom I haven't spent time together with properly in a while since I've been living abroad, and we are staying in a nice hotel by the sea - I was looking forward to this part of the weekend. It is just the party that I am dreading, am scared I might get really anxious, start crying, act weirdly and not be able to talk to people. Right now I am a bit of an emotional mess and having a really hard time dealing with social situations.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sobreia View Post
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your kind advice and support. I am feeling a little less anxious and will see how I feel tomorrow, but might just skip the party. Need to do what feels right for me, pleasing others and making myself feel bad has often led me down the wrong path...
"Their you go keep as cool as you can and face piles of trials with smiles and keep on thinking FREE!"
Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Having a bad day with extra anxiety is very normal especially when some big family event is on the horizon. What I'm doing in large gatherings, whatever they may be, is to gravitate toward people who are sober and who have a good attitude. It helps me get through. I hope your event goes well. Don't forget to smile!