Notices

Lost a family member this week...

Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost a family member this week...

On Monday, a cousin of mine suffered an aneurysm and was brain dead immediately. She passed away on Tuesday. At first I thought of it as just another hurdle I was going to have to get through without drinking, as I would normally handle grief with a couple of glasses of wine followed by a minimum of twelve beers. I was right that it was a hurdle, but I've realized upon reflection that it is also an inspiration for me to keep going on this journey.

She was just 46, only nine years older than I am. She was very active, social, loved life, and seldom took a drink. In fact, she was the polar opposite of myself in almost every way. The inspiration came when I realized that there is no guarantee of tomorrow no matter how we live our lives. I started to think of all the hell I have put my body through over the years and how lucky I am to have a chance to get myself healthy and go on living. I'm so very fortunate to have an opportunity to make more memories, sober memories, and do things I dreamed of doing, but never got a chance to do because I was stuck in a bottle. I'm feeling very somber after the funeral tonight, but also very sober and glad of it.

Just thought I would share...
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so very sorry for your loss, TNGal; 46 is so young! But it's good that you didn't drink and this terrible sadness still held some inspiration for you to stay sober--- you have a very long and full life ahead of you.

Hugs and deepest sympathies to you tonight.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sympathies to you TN. That's very painful for you. Your reaction to this painful event is admirable. I drank my way through fathers grief making it far worse. Thanks for sharing. Its important to share your feelings during this time. Your cousin sounds like a wonderful human. RIP x
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your lossTNGal - but great attitude

D
Old 05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. It is sad how life can be taken so quickly without warning. I'm sorry for the loss of your cousin. You sharing this has helped right now. Thank you.
Peace be with you Tngirl.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for your loss also. It's good that you've chosen to remain sober during this trying time. And you're right; we only have today. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. So living in the moment is the best thing we can do for ourselves.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your loss
Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your comments and condolences.

I am about to head out to the graveside services. Although I had another sleepless night, I have my usual sense of morning relief that I don't have a hangover as well. That would make this day doubly tough.