Notices

Day One

Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

When to Doctor today after syptoms of a stroke last night and found out my blood pressure was off the charts. I am 58, retired teacher and have been drinking, smoking whatever and generally neglecting my body for years; it finally gave me a a wakeup call last night. I'm now back on medication for high BP and doc made me promise to get help, whether that be 12 steps, AA or sites like this. I like the idea of a forum to talk with others so here goes nothing. I am staying sober starting today and hope my success is as positive as what I have read some of you others have to day. Thanks for all your support, bushjoe....
Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Bushjoe Yup something similar for me - I have an issue with my heart and I am not sure if it from drinking but it is likely - now I am set up for numerous tests to make sure I havent done too much damage. I am on day 3 and while I cannot say I am out of the woods - this site has for sure helped me.

I have been spending the evenings reading threads of gratitude on here and reading the positivity of people who have been here for a while - it helps, I plan on going to meetings after I get over all this fatigue but it helps me. Good luck and keep it up You have support here!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR bushjoe.Glad you are here.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome bushjoe

I didn't go to a Dr - you made a really good call
you'll find a lot of support here too

D
Old 05-23-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Bushjoe,
I am 59, 2 years sober at the end of the month and so happy to be sober.
Quit the smokes 3 years ago, eat healthy, exercise. The thought of dying doesn't scare me as much as being incapacitated.
I stay sober with the support of both AA and SR.

Keep reading and posting this a fantastic website.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 05-23-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the message and congratulations on making it 3 days. I drove by the local bars a few minutes ago and did not go in, and plan to quit for good....will stay in touch, Joe
Old 05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sobriety delivers everything Alcohol promised - great quote and I will remember it, thanks, JOE
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support and so happy I went to the doctor...got my blood pressure med's a few minutes ago and past day one sober....stay in touch and thanks again...joe
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrat's....you have 22 days up on me....you are a real inspiration and I already love this site...stay in touch and I hope we make it for good....joe
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on being sober 2 years....that's only a dream for me at this point, but hope to make it with AA and other support networks. Thanks for the advice to quit smokes, exercise and eating better, bushjoe.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome bushjoe,

There are fabulous folks here ready to help you, don't be afraid to ask. I also went to my Doc and like you my blood pressure was off the charts too and knew I had to do something about it.

It's not until I tried to stop that I realized how tight the grip was. With SR & AA & Counseling, I'm 4 years sober and love every minute of it..

Again welcome to SR...
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Bushjoe I am 59 doc put me on three blood pressure meds to get my pressure down (she didn't know I was drinking) three days sober checked my pressure and it was already dropping.Go for it we are still relatively young lots of good years ahead 8 days for me and already feel better Here if you need. PM if you need support .I love this site you will get a lot of help here everyone is going through the same thing you are not alone................
Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, I can tell the grip is tight already...after only one day off booze I feel so good the sight of a cold beer is tempting. That was part of my routine....sober a day, MAYBE two, then hit 'er hard. I love sleeping so much sounder when sober. Did you notice that your sleep was not restful when drinking all the time?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement...I am amazed how much better I feel, not only physically, but mentally because of knowing others out there struggle just like me. Can't tackle this disease alone is what I have finally come to accept. Appreciate your being there if needed. Best regards...............bushjoe
Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Joe. I have a family history of high BP too, and since i've quit drinking mine has dropped to a very healthy level with no medication at all. Amazing what happens when you quit polluting your body huh? Glad to hear you got checked out and i also find it's immensly helpful to read and write with others here who have the same problem as me. You are right that we cannot do this alone, I am glad you are here for yourself and also to help us as you get better. Best of luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support as I'm finally convinced can't do this alone...can't believe I've not had "balance" in life for so long...booze took over planning most activities. I like the word you used "polluting" our body...my doc yesterday confirmed this and said "...put a pieice of chicken or other food into a glass of booze as see what it looks like in a day or two...totally bad for our bodies. What blows my mind is how powerful THE FIRST DRINK IS IN TERMS OF DICTATING THE NEXT ROUND (s)......later.........bushjoe
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by bushjoe View Post
What blows my mind is how powerful THE FIRST DRINK IS IN TERMS OF DICTATING THE NEXT ROUND
That's entirely true, but it's also true that if you don't pick up the first one, the next round never happens, right! That's our challenge...and we are up for it, sounds like you are too.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hang in there Joe! I love being sober. The guilt and regrets were killing me when I was drinking. It is kind of nice being able to look myself in the eye again.