Notices

How do you sleep.....

Old 05-23-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I sleep *so* much better now. Exercise really helps as well.

When I was drinking I never slept well. I would often wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and scared as hell. Of what exactly wasn't always clear ... just scared. I'd usually end up watching the clock tick off the hours until I had to get up regretting another day feeling lousy because of my hangover and lack of sleep.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
It took me a few months to start sleeping "well" which for me means 8 hours a night but still waking up a couple times here and there. I have never been a deep sleeper so I doubt that will change. I just let the process happen and watched movies or read when stuck awake. This week I have some insomnia and not sure why but just riding through it...walking around tired all day still beats tired+hangover. Keep rocking on, you're doing awesome!
I'll have to get into my books again. I'm finding it a bit hard as my eyes are still not focussing well and the world is spinning but I could handle little bits. I didn't end up reading last night. Too cold to get out of bed and get my book lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I still have times when it is hard to get to sleep but I have developed a strategy to occupy my mind with more positive thoughts.

I suggest that you think about and even write down positive events and favorite places you have been in your life. When you go to bed, think about these events and places and maybe re read the list before you retire for the night. Then pick one of these and revisit it in your mind as you lay in bed.

I try to concentrate on traveling through my favorite mountain locations and visualize the views at the points I stopped at. Sometime's I even look at my travel photo's to refresh my memories. Reliving those good time's can really help remove negative thought's from your mind.

One of the other positive experience's I also use for this purpose is concert's that I have attended. Since I have seen 50 shows since 2009, I will think about one of my favorite's and relive it in my mind. Sometime's I will watch a DVD of one of the band's before bed, with the music playing through my stereo. This allows me to remember the scene at the concert venue and concentrate on the positive feelings that I experienced during the show.

Good Luck and sleep well tonight!
Thanks for that. Yes I need to try and focus more positively that's for sure!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
I sleep *so* much better now. Exercise really helps as well.

When I was drinking I never slept well. I would often wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding and scared as hell. Of what exactly wasn't always clear ... just scared. I'd usually end up watching the clock tick off the hours until I had to get up regretting another day feeling lousy because of my hangover and lack of sleep.
Exercise definitely helps. I have always been a big exerciser until these Benzowithdrawls knocked me on my bum. Can't wait to get back into it. I'm losing weight which I don't need to do argh. I sleep so well when using . Fell asleep on a cloud every night only waking up at 2.30-' for more pills.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I found that winding down the day helped. The volume on the tv goes down gradually, the lights in the house go off one by one. A little exercise at least two hours before bed helps too.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sometimes I listen to music
Old 05-23-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I used alcohol for many years to help me relax and fall asleep.

Now I engage in vigorous exercise several times a week.

Staying awake past 10 p.m. is a problem for me now.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Music and exercise are two of my great loves. I have music on alllll the time. Maybe I could use some headphones in bed.