SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Switching Addictions (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295516-switching-addictions.html)

deeker 05-22-2013 06:33 PM

Switching Addictions

To the Chocoholics out there.

My name is Forrest and I'm addicted to chocolates.lol (from Forrest Gump)

Talk about switching addictions. I am an alkie/addict in recovery. But my addiction manifests itself in many other ways.

The first couple months in recovery I would drive all over town and stock up on Chex Chocolate Turtle mix.

All I ate for 3 months was Chex mix daily.

I got over that and then I became addicted to AA Online meetings. I was in chat for hours and hours a day. I began chairing meetings online.

Then I got addicted to service work in AA and NA and volunteered for every service position I could.

Then I got addicted to emailing new people online with encouraging texts.

Then I got addicted to watching you tube videos.

Then I got addicted to watching documentaries on Jesus Christ.

Then I got addicted to red velvet cake and ate it only for a whole week.

Then I got addicted to string cheese.

Then I got addicted to baking cookies and baked everyday for a week.

Now I am addicted to sober recovery forum. lol

I just can't win, but I can't get arrested for driving under the influence of red velvet cake, or for watching to many documentaries on Christ.

I am an addict to the core which proves that drinking/drugging was just a symptom of my illness.

I know I am so sick. :) Still working hard on my recovery.

Saliena 05-22-2013 07:01 PM

My current addiction is working out... Odd as that seems weird as all get out to me. I wonder who this new person is that lives in my body 585 days after her last drink. Well I like her but don't take away her running shoes might have to kill ya!!

Black Bird 05-22-2013 07:12 PM

I am addicted to Diet Coke. I have always drank it, but now that I'm sober I drink massive amounts! I am limiting myself now. Ugh! I want to be addicted to working out! That would be great! :)

1newcreation 05-22-2013 07:18 PM

Keep comin back!
lol Yeah I c u're point...rite now 4 me its meetings & coffee
Left choc while ago even tho now & then I'll crave it
We're alkis Ms Deeker-plain & simple

Ptcapote 05-22-2013 07:32 PM

Here's how it went for me:

1. Ice Cream
2. Exotic Chocolate Bars (yes, I gave into a Beef Jerky chocolate bar...really...that's how sick I was).
3. Gummy everything (my friend Mizz can relate, I believe)
4. Holding court at the bulk food bins at stores where I could be bagging anything from pistachios to trail mix.
5. Cupcakes (and I HATE cupcakes...I even hate the word "cupcake").
6. Round 2 with the Ice Cream.
7. Smoothies (I don't like this word either...don't ask me why...)
8. String cheese---with ya there, Deek.
9. Popcorn.
10. And...wait for it...yep, ice cream again!!!

Now that I have gone through all of those rather unhealthy obsessions, I am on a diet and exercising like crazy. So now it is high protein/low carbs and the rowing machine.

I preferred string cheese and ice cream.

ElegantlyWasted 05-22-2013 07:37 PM

MMMM Chocolate. Ate 1200 calories of Ben and Jerry's the other night. Still drinking too much caffeine and have this weird popcorn obsession. Think I'm craving the calories from booze. Still loosing weight thought.

deeker 05-22-2013 07:55 PM

So funny ptcapote, I see I am not alone! lol

Oh this week macadamia nut cookies.

Grungehead 05-22-2013 08:00 PM

I can relate to the string cheese, popcorn and chocolate. I even thought about putting a chocolate bar into the bag of popcorn straight out of the microwave and shaking vigorously.

Coffee too. Weird when I was drinking I never drank coffee, not even for hangovers. When I'm sober I drink 4 cups a day.

Ptcapote 05-22-2013 08:03 PM

[QUOTE=Grungehead;3979205]I can relate to the string cheese, popcorn and chocolate. I even thought about putting a chocolate bar into the bag of popcorn straight out of the microwave and shaking vigorously.

Oh Dear Lord...must go to bed as this is entirely too appealing right now.

Many thanks, Grunge ;)

amandaw 05-22-2013 08:33 PM

thanks, now I want chocolate popcorn and ice cream.

neferkamichael 05-22-2013 08:49 PM

I ate up all my chocolate covered raisins, and all I have left is 7 sweet rolls, about 2 pounds of sugar for coffee, and about a 12 pack of cokes. I'm gonna get off all that junk too. Been riding my bicycle 15/20 miles a day, feelin pretty good overall, but do have some powerful cravings for a cigarette. I have come to embrace and enjoy the struggle, although I am about have crazy with it all. :egypt:

Torso 05-22-2013 08:59 PM

DEEKER, I think you are awesome! and I thank you for the private messages you have sent me....they really did help!

But on a serious note, addiction and sugar etc should be looked into more by all addicts/alcoholics

It's baffling me why people spend so much time going to AA everyday yet are unwilling to change a simple thing such as cut out sugar.
YET it's scientifically going to help you, proven, damn it science!

Each to their own I guess.

zalfa 05-22-2013 09:07 PM

I got sober from booze and benzos, I still smoke cigarettes and drink coffee though.

As someone with OCD, I always have to do the same thing every day. Now what I have to do is wake up, drink a coffee within an hour of waking up, eat at certain times etc.

I'd rather not get into specifics but when I drank and did drugs I had to do it every day, by a certain time. Now I have a regimented routine of things I do daily. I usually walk 4-5 miles a day now.

Yes I do have addictions to some foods. Mostly frozen pizzas, ham sandwiches and cookies. I eat all of the above every day, at certain predetermined times.

It's OCD and it's a tough cycle to break.

sukosuko1 05-22-2013 10:40 PM

100g dark chocolate bars.. can't stop! eat at least half or the whole thing everyday.

Coffee...too much.

Running! every night when its time to sit down...the obsession to feed my running addiction kicks in..and I spent 2 hours getting ready...running...and cleaning up. wish had those 2 hours for relaxation and meditation sometimes.

"internet addiction" ahem...at least this doesn't consume too much time.

Sazzle 05-22-2013 11:03 PM

Deeker, I love your posts. All I can say is you are lucky you don't have red velvet police where you are. They caught up with me last month.

Now my addiction is beauty salons: fake tanning, nails etc. on the plus side my skin routine has never been so amazing but downside I'm beginning to look like the cast of wives of OC.

S x

Louise82 05-23-2013 08:08 AM

Not all at the same time, but I've gone through phases of:

Salami on buttered toast (yeah, I don't even know...)
Ribena
Tea
Lime Red Bull
Chocolate cornflake cakes
Prawn cocktail crisps (chips)
Chips (fries)
KA fruit punch

Unsurprisingly, I'm now having to go on a diet, what with my holiday (vacation) only a month away. :gaah

Also, cigarettes, but I've just smoked my last ever one. Also SR. I'm trying to limit the time I spend here each day and I've already gone 6 minutes over, so I'd better stop typing this and get off here!

EverySngleNight 05-23-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ptcapote (Post 3979164)
Here's how it went for me:

1. Ice Cream
2. Exotic Chocolate Bars (yes, I gave into a Beef Jerky chocolate bar...really...that's how sick I was).
3. Gummy everything (my friend Mizz can relate, I believe)
4. Holding court at the bulk food bins at stores where I could be bagging anything from pistachios to trail mix.
5. Cupcakes (and I HATE cupcakes...I even hate the word "cupcake").
6. Round 2 with the Ice Cream.
7. Smoothies (I don't like this word either...don't ask me why...)
8. String cheese---with ya there, Deek.
9. Popcorn.
10. And...wait for it...yep, ice cream again!!!

Beef jerky chocolate bar???? Where do I sign up??? I also have word aversions. Crab grass, dollop, sugar int the raw, isopropyl... Ehh.

I'm hooked on chocolate and cheez-its right now. OMG cheez-it crackers, you devilish crunchy little temptresses!!! Lol

SoulKat 05-23-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Saliena (Post 3979115)
My current addiction is working out...

How I wish. I never get addicted to anything that's good for me. LOL

I am addicted to the Chef Gordon Ramsey. Kitchen Nighmares is my favorite right now.

:gaah

deeker 05-23-2013 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight (Post 3979938)
I'm hooked on chocolate and cheez-its right now.

Together? hmmmmm brb

EverySngleNight 05-23-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by deeker (Post 3979964)
Together? hmmmmm brb

Right??? Cabot extra sharp cheddar makes it a meal! Lol