Notices

Switching Addictions

Old 05-23-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Maybe I better start a what's my addiction today club?
I wish I was addicted to excercise. I know about the tanning booths. When I was younger I would go 2 times a day to different ones so they didn't know I was over doing it.

I had a foot long Charleston Chew bar yesterday. rut roh looks like it's next. brb off to the store.lol
Old 05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Ptcapote;3979212]
Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
I can relate to the string cheese, popcorn and chocolate. I even thought about putting a chocolate bar into the bag of popcorn straight out of the microwave and shaking vigorously.

Oh Dear Lord...must go to bed as this is entirely too appealing right now.

Many thanks, Grunge

HINT: Microwave salted popcorn, then add M&M's straight into the bag, shake, pour in bowl, and voila!! It's heaven....
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mvngon is the devil. ;-)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hee hee....
Old 05-23-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am hooked on anything remotely unhealthy to eat!!

Why oh why can't I get addicted to eating fruit and exercising??!!x
Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
Beef jerky chocolate bar???? Where do I sign up??? I also have word aversions. Crab grass, dollop, sugar int the raw, isopropyl... Ehh.

I'm hooked on chocolate and cheez-its right now. OMG cheez-it crackers, you devilish crunchy little temptresses!!! Lol
Yes, beef-jerky chocolate. It was good but I don't know if I'd do it again.

Word aversions! I don't know what my problem is but I do have certain words that drive me crazy to say or hear. I mean, I don't go spastic or any such nonsense and start scaring people by screaming when they say the word "cupcake" (thank god for that small mercy, right?) but I do inwardly flinch.

Oooh..."dollop." Now that's a nasty one. Didn't think of that before. Isopropyl is another one.

For me? "Panty" "Snack" and "Bulbous" also top the list. I'd make a joke here but it would most certainly be inappropriate and not on topic...well, not exactly.

Anyway, back to food.

Cheez-its. Love them. Love "snack" (hate it but haven't found a proper alternative word yet) mixes with cheez-its in them too.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
Maybe I better start a what's my addiction today club?
I wish I was addicted to excercise. I know about the tanning booths. When I was younger I would go 2 times a day to different ones so they didn't know I was over doing it.

I had a foot long Charleston Chew bar yesterday. rut roh looks like it's next. brb off to the store.lol
Great idea! (Yeah, I did a really great job of staying away from SR )
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post
For me? "Panty" "Snack" and "Bulbous" also top the list.
Lol...bulbous. I don't have a visceral revulsion when I see it, but it always made me think of the tip of a red, pock marked nose on a fat Dickensian character.

Interestingly, one could apparently combine word aversion with food addiction to come up with a working diet plan:

"Words do have the power to disgust and repulse, though—that, at least, has been demonstrated in scholarly investigations. Natasha Fedotova, a Ph.D. student studying psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, recently conducted research examining the extent to which individuals connect the properties of an especially repellent thing to the word that represents it. “For instance,” she says, “the word rat, which stands for a disgusting animal, can contaminate an edible object [such as water] if the two touch. This result cannot be explained solely in terms of the tendency of the word to act as a reminder of the disgusting entity because the effect depends on direct physical contact with the word.” Put another way, if you serve people who are grossed out by rats Big Macs on plates that have the word rat written on them, some people will be less likely to want to eat the portion of the burger that touched the word. Humans, in these instances, go so far as to treat gross-out words “as though they can transfer negative properties through physical contact,” says Fedotova." Word aversion: Hate moist? Slacks? Crevice? Why do people hate words? - Slate Magazine
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am habitual in everything that I do. Smoothie in the morning ( Ya, that word is awkward PT) . Candy at night. I think I wore out my welcome with Vitamin waters.....The thought makes me literally sick to my stomach. I am in love with Skittles. I just discovered the dark side version. I think I will invest in stock.
I am addicted to the show "The Big Bang Theory" right now. Also, Coffee. I have been addicted to coffee since I was a teen. I have no intention of quitting, ever. I also have this fascination with Reality TV. Dont judge me!
Im working on not cutting any of this out of my life! I tried to quit sugar, and I failed many many times. I am over the quitting part!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is all normal, all these cravings and such. I talked to a good friend of mine whose husband has 21 years of sobriety. They were just beginning to date when he decided to get sober. She said that it took a good two years for the weird cravings, feelings, almost everything to mellow out and for him to find his rhythm in life. He had to find a new balance and so do we. It just takes time. I hear that headaches and tiredness come back to those who are at almost a year and beyond. You'd think that a year would be the end but just think of all those years we damaged our bodies.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I cut back on ice cream and went to flavored lollipops and jelly bellys. I started walking on my lunch break because I don't have time to excerise at other times. Popcorn is actually good for you, maybe not all the salt and butter, but it's not all bad. I also try to stick with sugar free drinks and creamers. Somedays are snack days for me where I graze all day long and others days I eat 3 square meals with no snacks. I think that everyone will eventaully get their groove back.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mvngon;3979981]
Originally Posted by Ptcapote View Post

HINT: Microwave salted popcorn, then add M&M's straight into the bag, shake, pour in bowl, and voila!! It's heaven....
Whoooaahh!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

OK Here's my jail skittles story. 8 yrs ago - 3rd DUI, Ordered Commissary, waited 2 weeks for it, was so excited to be getting some real snacks. Commissary got there and they forgot my skittles. I cried for 2 days. When you eat Jail food, cabbage, beans and hot dogs, soggy wet salad. Skittles become very important. I don't take my skittles for granted anymore.

Women fight over sugar packets in jail. Thank God I am a big girl, No one messed with me and at Night when they turned out the lights I would serenade them. One night I had everyone in their cells singing and dancing to TWIST AND SHOUT! I was getting requests and the girl one cell over was playing the drums on her trash can. Oh such Fond Memories. lol

I am gonna go back in 6 months. This time I am going to speak there about recovery. Maybe I will smuggle in some sugar. ( and end up doing 20 for possession of cocaine)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
OK Here's my jail skittles story.
You know any story that starts like that- WORTH READING!! LOL not to make light of what you went through... But that line cracked me up. Complete with tears!!! Lol