Notices

Dealing with triggers?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Dealing with triggers?

I mentioned in my earlier thread that I wanted this holiday weekend to be my first sober holiday in many years. All is going well but I am having flashbacks.... almost like I cannot top off a long day at work without a beverage.

I guess its my trigger. Gotta reward myself. I was never much of a soda drinker so maybe ice tea? Can anyone relate?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Totally I now have a non alcoholic drink on ice at all times. Be careful of overdoing caffiene though. It can make your agitation heightened. I too am getting nervous about this weekend it our first official weekend at our families beach house and the fridge is always stacked and every night is a BBQ.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

We can all relate to the desire to drink, the strong desire, even after we've vowed to never drink again.

Find another "reward" system. Give yourself a goal for the weekend and when you achive it, give yourself a prize.

But don't drink.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found I was really thirsty when I first quit and water was really what I needed and tasted good. I liked it really cold. I still drink water but not as much. My new vice is Coke Zero.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been tanking on water all day, ice cold. I went to the grocery store and bought some fresh fruit to munch on.

I want to avoid soda as I am trying to loose weight as well. I may try decaf tea, though.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Add some nuts or peanut butter us long time drinkers deplete ourselves of b12 potassium and magnesium. It will help with the up and down blood sugar too as you have removed your body's sugar source
Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help. I had always taken a multi-vitamen. I wonder if it really did any good as I was always wrecking my system every day.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Seltzer. Lots of seltzer. At lease a six pack a day. I'm on vacation for a week just because I needed a break. This is the first week away from work that I've attempted sober in .... forever I guess. Besides one close call, so far so good. It's amazing what I can get done when I'm not laying on the couch hung over until late afternoon.