SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295400-hello.html)

rennn 05-21-2013 10:57 AM

hello

Hello,
I think i am an alcoholic i don't drink every day but every few days or once a week, sometimes i go a couple of weeks without a drink but when i start drinking i can't stop no matter what i tell myself before i start drinking like i'll only drink a 6 pack i allways drink more. i don't have a job at the moment (got fired because i got drunk the night before and missed shifts a couple of times) so i don't have much money and i often start drinking and keep drinking what little fun money i have then spend my food money on booze wake up broke and have to eat noodles for like a week until i get paid again. I drink till i black out and act like a ********. I've started wearing things thin with my friends and we don't hang out much anymore. for some reason when i drink i turn into a completely different person an arrogant ******* or just a douchbag. I have tried to quit before but its like after a few days or a couple of weeks i forget what i've learned and feel i can control it then drink again.

It really sux that i can't control my alchohol because most social activites i have involve drinking or drugs i had to quit weed a couple years ago because i smoked all day everyday and it basically made me a ******.

How can i quit drinking for good or for at least a year until i change a bit?

ScottFromWI 05-21-2013 11:16 AM

SR is a great place to start, welcome. Sounds like alcohol has caused you a lot of problems, as it has for just about everyone else here.

For one thing, you'll most likely need to find other social activities and other people to be around that don't involve drinking or drugs.

You may want to seek out some local support too such as NA or AA.

Regarding quitting for a while and trying to "change", try working on just quitting for now. Worry about a year from now when that time comes.

rennn 05-21-2013 11:49 AM

thankyou for the post
i want to quit but not sure about joining AA i live in a small town and feel really awkward about the meetings and stuff.
what i really need is to keep the thoughts fresh in my mind about what drinking is doing for me etc. because i have been at this point before many times quit for a while then start feeling really positive and happy and start drinking again then the cycle starts over. though this is the first time i've joined a forum. also things have gotten bad with my personal relationships so i kinda feel like i am really at the end of my tether this time.

Sazzle 05-21-2013 11:53 AM

Hello Rennn and welcome to SR. I gave up publicly for 1 month to get over the hurdle of peer pressure. Everyone knew my plan, I just kept extending the end date. I do more sober activities now and I find bars dull (I usually leave early if I meet friends in a bar). It's not for everyone and you may have to avoid bars for a good while. One thing is for sure, your life will get progressively better the longer you stay off the booze.

Good luck

S x

visch1 05-21-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rennn (Post 3977084)
thankyou for the post
i want to quit but not sure about joining AA i live in a small town and feel really awkward about the meetings and stuff.
what i really need is to keep the thoughts fresh in my mind about what drinking is doing for me etc. because i have been at this point before many times quit for a while then start feeling really positive and happy and start drinking again then the cycle starts over. though this is the first time i've joined a forum. also things have gotten bad with my personal relationships so i kinda feel like i am really at the end of my tether this time.

I'll say what was told me. Read your post and try to accept that your way is NOT working for you. Which would you rather face, a good life with AA asistance or going downhill with less of a chance of recovery as demonstrated so far? BE WELL

ScottFromWI 05-21-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rennn (Post 3977084)
thankyou for the post

Don't discount AA/NA until you at least give it a shot. Feeling akward is a heck of a lot better than being a drunk in my book. And I say that as a non AA member, i use SR as my main support.

Regardless of what method you choose, the most important part is for you to commit to it 100%. No recovery works if you don't embrace that you have a problem and go into it half-hearted. Most of us here have quit for a while and then tried to moderate, many of us multiple times. And for most it never works, we always end up back in our old ways. For me it took absolute committment that total sobriety was the only option.

Best of luck, thanks for joining, and please read a lot and ask lots of questions.

Dee74 05-21-2013 02:09 PM

Hi Renn :)

some great advice here - I think, no matter what way you go about not drinking, changing your life is pretty important - I never realised how much of my old life revolved around alcohol.

I also think finding support is important too. You'll find a lot of that here :)

D