SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Getting a job in early recovery? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295384-getting-job-early-recovery.html)

jakec 05-21-2013 08:03 AM

Getting a job in early recovery?

Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

I kindof want to get a job so I can have something to do during the day and so I have money to buy things I need.

I don't trust myself with money, so I would have my mom handle my money, give her my paychecks and stuff.

I'm just scared that I will get bad anxiety about working again that I might be more likely to relapse.. I'm scared to go back to work but I know I have to eventually.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

soberhope1984 05-21-2013 08:15 AM

It may be a good idea, and may not. As you said... it could kick up your anxiety, which may end up in a relapse. If you can find a low-stress job then I wouldn't see no problem with it.

If you end up finding / thinking you can not handle a job at this moment... why not pick up a hobby? You could possibly also turn that hobby into a little money, depending on what you like to do.

I started vegetable gardening some, which if done at the right time... I can buy a bunch of seeds, start them off, and then put an ad online / in the paper selling the small started plants to people who have problems / not wanting to start from seed.

choublak 05-21-2013 08:16 AM

Why don't you trust yourself with money?

Because, it seems like if you can't handle your own finances, how do you handle life, work, etc.?

jakec 05-21-2013 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by choublak (Post 3976815)

Because, it seems like if you can't handle your own finances, how do you handle life, work, etc.?

I'm just scared if I have a lot of money on me I will be tempted to go out and buy drugs or alcohol.

I'm only 17 and live with my dad, so it's not completely necessary, but eventually I will have to somewhat support myself.

soberhope1984 05-21-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by choublak (Post 3976815)

It has been shown that people with addictions (of almost any type drug /alcohol / or other addiction types) have problems maintaining finances. I think he is making a wise choice in having his mom help him handle them while he gets these things under control.

BabyJane 05-21-2013 08:30 AM

Just my personal experience, if you get a job just make sure it's nothing too crazy or demanding in the beginning. I made that mistake once. Bad idea. Led to relapse as the constant scrutiny from upper management and pressure to perform in a high-demand, very competitive environment were terrible for me in early sobriety. Not to mention I had little free time for meetings or anything else recovery related due to my work schedule. Everyone I worked with was alcoholic, heavy drinker, or addicted to cocaine. Go figure.

Maybe look for a part-time gig. Or take some classes for fun; learn a new language, get a certification or something to help you along as you go forward. Always good to improve ourselves as long as we put sobriety first, at least early on. We must or we end up back out there, at least I did. Not working now and I do get bored and feel anxious about it but I have my hobbies and I'm applying to return to college so I know I will get there. Good luck to you! Congrats in sobriety. Awesome!

Mizzuno 05-21-2013 08:34 AM

Yes, I think you should get a job. It will help you in many ways. Responsibility helps to build esteem. You will need to learn how to handle your money without the help of your mother. Soon enough you will be an adult, and will need to make decisions for your life without your parents. You can do this. Do not let fear hold you back

360shoes 05-21-2013 09:24 AM

Hi Jakec,
First of all, if you were my 17 year old I would be very proud of you for your hard work staying sober and or clean and I would be very proud of you for wanting to do something positive with your free time and for wanting to learn how to manage your money.

Just my opinion but I think you should enlisted the help of your biggest supporters in your life on this one. Do you have someone who you can talk to about this? It sounds to me that what you are looking to achieve is one...doing something with your free time that contributes to yourself and others and two...learning some good life skills on how to manage your money...all along keeping you on the right path of never relapsing. These are good goals. Now how to achieve this can be done in a gazillion ways so that's why I think asking for someone's advise who knows you really well can help.

There is nothing wrong in thinking about these next steps in your life...it's just what's the best avenue in achieving it. It could be lots of things. If I were your parent or friend or counselor I would try hard to find you a safe opportunity for you to try.

Do you have someone who can help you find something that will fit for you?

DirtyRiverMan 05-21-2013 09:30 AM

Yes, you should get a job. It would fill your time with something positive. Idle hands ...............you know the rest.

choublak 05-21-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by soberhope1984 (Post 3976824)
It has been shown that people with addictions (of almost any type drug /alcohol / or other addiction types) have problems maintaining finances.

That's not always necessarily true, especially with "high functioning" alcoholics. I'm not trying to start a debate; just pointing this out for the sake of any lurkers who might be reading this.

2granddaughters 05-21-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jakec (Post 3976795)
Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

I kindof want to get a job so I can have something to do during the day and so I have money to buy things I need.

I don't trust myself with money, so I would have my mom handle my money, give her my paychecks and stuff.

I'm just scared that I will get bad anxiety about working again that I might be more likely to relapse.. I'm scared to go back to work but I know I have to eventually.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

What does your sponsor suggest, Jake ??

jakec 05-21-2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters (Post 3977045)
What does your sponsor suggest, Jake ??

I haven't talked to him about it yet, but I'll call him today and I'll get back to you on that!

ElegantlyWasted 05-21-2013 12:23 PM

I say go for it! Get a job. Also, monitor you stress level relative to the people places and things thing. A suggestion... Do you own finances put tell you father your going to sit down with him every week and go over you bank account and spending. Have him hold you to it. Anyways; whatever you decide rock it out, you can do it. You have the ability to mature into a responsible successful young man. I wish I had posted your question here at 17.

soberhope1984 05-22-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by choublak (Post 3977037)
That's not always necessarily true, especially with "high functioning" alcoholics. I'm not trying to start a debate; just pointing this out for the sake of any lurkers who might be reading this.

I see your point, maybe I should have worded it differently.