SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295337-detox.html)

bdnb74 05-20-2013 08:58 PM

Detox

Just wondering, does the Detox process and anxiety ever stop someone from drinking again or does this feeling. I fell off the wagon 3 weeks ago in which I was sober for 3 weeks. This is worse than the last and I don't think I could go through another.

digdug 05-20-2013 09:28 PM

Detox scared the living daylights out of me because it put me inches away from death.

But I know that that the memory alone is not enough to keep me sober. I have to put in the work too and stick to my program. I embrace recovery so that withdrawals will never be a part of my life again.

Hang in there!

Dee74 05-20-2013 09:30 PM

hi and welcome bdnb74 :)

I think a certain amount of anxiety is pretty common - it was certainly not unusual for me to still feel anxious at 3 weeks.

what other kinds of detox things do you have going on?

D

bdnb74 05-20-2013 09:39 PM

Thanks. I have severe diarrhea, vomiting, dry heaving, sweating, frozen one moment and boiling the next. I just to myself I cannot go back here, but I am just afraid that when the withdrawls stop I am going to be tricked again.

Zencat 05-20-2013 09:51 PM

does the Detox process and anxiety ever stop someone from drinking again
I believe for some yes, my anxiety was uncontrollable wile I remained to self-treat the anxiety. The detox from benzo's was so traumatic, I never became
addicted to them again'

Conversely I have a first hand account of my 22 year old friend died because of a perforated upper intestine due to his 10 year habit of drinking 2 1/2 quart daily. He had been through detox 5 times.A smart, sociable with old money Guy, had no plans on chasing-in his chips young.

bdnb74 05-20-2013 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by digdug (Post 3976247)
Detox scared the living daylights out of me because it put me inches away from death.

But I know that that the memory alone is not enough to keep me sober. I have to put in the work too and stick to my program. I embrace recovery so that withdrawals will never be a part of my life again.

Hang in there!

Did you join any groups like AA. I am a bit of a shy and anxious person and dont like speaking in groups with people I don't know.

digdug 05-20-2013 09:58 PM

I did join AA and go almost every day. I also have horrible anxiety that can be pretty crippling. But I was willing to do something that was uncomfortable at first in order to save my life.

Also, you don't have to share if you don't want to. Besides introducing myself at my first meeting, I didn't raise my hand for two weeks. But I still learned a lot just by listening to others.

bdnb74 05-20-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by digdug (Post 3976280)
I did join AA and go almost every day. I also have horrible anxiety that can be pretty crippling. But I was willing to do something that was uncomfortable at first in order to save my life.

Also, you don't have to share if you don't want to. Besides introducing myself at my first meeting, I didn't raise my hand for two weeks. But I still learned a lot just by listening to others.

Good for you. Congrats! How long have you been sober for?

digdug 05-20-2013 10:04 PM

I just finished day 54 and am off to bed so I can kick day 55's butt! :)

bdnb74 05-20-2013 10:07 PM

Me to Congrats and thanks for the advice.