Notices

AA vs. NA

Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA vs. NA

So the NA meetings in my area are scarce and me working the night shift it makes it much harder to make them them... AA was suggested when I'm there is it okay to introduce my self as an addict.... Alcohol is not my issue but there are many more meetings available to me.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've heard that that raises the ire of some AA members as the sole purpose of AA is to stop drinking. But I'm not a member of AA so maybe someone will come along who can address this issue better than I can.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm both a recovering addict and a drunk, so AA fits for me. I would never hesitate to invite an addict to an AA meeting.

Go. Test the waters.

Ask yourself this: Do you have a desire to stop drinking? Are you an addict who thinks they can drink now and then without a problem? NA treats alcohol for what it is -- a drug. The AA I hang with treats any drug use as a precursor to drinking (it is for this alcoholic).

Can you go to the meeting and say, hey, I'm an addict and an alcoholic?

If so, in my book, you qualify.

Or just go and go with the flow. When it comes to introductions, and you have a desire to not drink, just say you are an alcoholic.

And in the meetings I go to, it's very common for some to identify themselves as an addict. If you ruffle a feather or two, that hawk may or may not let you know about it after the meeting. Frankly, out of the hundreds of meetings I have been to on both sides of the globe, if you have a problem with substances your welcome.

And if you want to pay a trump card, go to an open AA meeting. You don't even have to qualify yourself at those, or just introduce yourself the way you feel comfortable. In an open meeting visitors are allowed. If you are unsure if it's open or closed, check the local meeting list. All meetings will be labeled open or closed. Closed meetings are for alcoholics only or for those who have a desire to stop drinking (and may not recognize yet what an alcoholic is).
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have heard many people at AA meetings introduce themselves as addicts/alcoholic or just addicts. They are never turned away at least in the meetings I have been to. The only time I have heard it frowned upon is during a lead. The lead person does seem to deter from mentioning anything but alcohol. They just mention they also took another substance or something along those lines.

We had a person at our Big book meeting last week that introduced herself as an addict and later when she was talking she admitted the addiction she had was with canned air. She was having a real rough time. As she stated there is no "canned air anonymous".

I think it would be fine. If for some reason they seem to frown then find another meeting. They can differ quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i intro myself as addicted alcholic. there are groups that have it as their group conscience that it is not allwed to say "im an addict." they are few and far between. yup, theres memebers that get buggered up by me sayin "im tom, addicted alcoholic." when they mention it, i say something to the effect," welp, i guess when anyone anywhere reaches out for help has a line for ya. sorry to hear that. now, maybe ya should go rip out bill w and dr bob's stories out of yer BB, along with quite a few others."
i have been to meetings where members have had a problem with it and voiced it, so i have asked the person who introed themselves as an addict," do you have a desire to not drink?" when they say "yes"...welp, time to get on with the meeting.

in others words, dont let it stop ya. if ya find a meeting where poeple gotta problem with it, find another meeting.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

I've been to both and have encountered on the very odd occasion an addict enduring some misguided sniffiness from an AA member. That's their problem really and should be heartily ignored - as indeed it is by 99% out here.

Generally on East and West coast, I've found it really isn't an issue. I'm uncertain as to what it's like anywhere in between though.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You will be welcome, please go!!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone this did help and I have a friends who suggested going to an open meeting... I wouldn't try a closed meeting I think it's clear that's exclusive to alcoholics only... I just feel it's time for me to branch and push goin to meetings
Old 05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I've been to both AA and NA. NA seems to not deal so much with the war stories. In a lot of NA meetings, people don't even mention their drug of choice.

But in AA, I feel there is more hope and inspiration because you usually have more people with a LOT of clean time.

It really depends on the meeting itself. Some AA groups are very welcoming. The first time I went to my home group (AA), a guy actually asked me what my drug of choice was. They really didn't care if I was a drunk or an addict as long as I was there to get help.

But I still go to NA meetings with some recovering addict friends even though I'm an alcoholic.

Bottom line: A meeting is a meeting is a meeting. Go!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone this did help and I have a friends who suggested going to an open meeting... I wouldn't try a closed meeting I think it's clear that's exclusive to alcoholics only... I just feel it's time for me to branch and push goin to meetings
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good deal, try some different groups and times till you find one you click with.. I've been to all kinds.. My favorite is my home noon group.. 40-50 people. I get to hear a lot of different people share and I get a lot out of it.. Proud of you going.. You'll be welcome with open arms..
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I introduced myself as an alcoholic/addict. Once I woke up I realized the real spiritual significance of The Twelve Traditions and the importance of the singleness of purpose of just concerning us with the recovery of alcohol.

One main attribute of recovery is rigorous honesty. How honest is it for a non alcoholic to recover from alcoholism.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I go to AA and some people are addicted to pot or opiates or cocaine etc. They may introduce themselves as an addict rather than an alcoholic. In all the meetings I go to I have never seen anyone shunned for this. I do believe that as a person who is addicted to alochol, I shouldn't take any mind altering substance. Like "Okay I can't drink but I can smoke pot daily" lol What I am trying to say is that if you are free from all substances and really want the help of a 12 step program you will find it helpful.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Grateful

I go to AA and I am an alcoholic and an addict. I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I call myself I KNOW WHAT I AM. If AA keeps me sober I'll call myself a piece of broccoli if that's what they want me to say.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

lmao grunge! i hear u!