Notices

Little brother's and college friends visiting

Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little brother's and college friends visiting

I stopped drinking 5 months ago and haven't had many situations that tempt me. Tonight my little bro is home from college with a couple of his friends. It's a scenario which I would normally enjoy a couple of beers with them - I'm not going to, but would love some thoughts from the SR brain trust on why I shouldn't mourn not being able to do that. It's a sophomoric craving - i'm not in college and haven't been in a long time. But nevertheless, it's a craving.

thanks
brian
Old 05-20-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how you stop mourning Brian, but for me I built a new life, one that I loved and wasn't built on drinking.

I guess, to build on the mourning analogy, I moved on.

If you feel you haven't moved on in your head yet, then yeah tonight is likely going to not be very pleasant....but hey - use that...

I avoid situations like that even now - the couple of times I've been unavoidably detained in those situations I've found them deathly boring - I either left early or went to bed.

You might find you've changed more than you think?

D
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, yes I suppose I may have.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you're at all uncomfortable tonight, do something else. I had to learn to say 'No' to things that put me at risk.

I agree with Dee that I had to move on. I had to find ways to feel good about myself and my decisions so that I wouldn't feel a loss on a night like your tonight.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Update

Turns out the little brother and friends are playing in a golf tournament tomorrow and aren't drinking at all tonight. Sometimes we get all wound up over nothing.