SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 5 and off to Music Festival on Thursday dun dun dun (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295280-day-5-off-music-festival-thursday-dun-dun-dun.html)

RiverFriend 05-20-2013 09:14 AM

Day 5 and off to Music Festival on Thursday dun dun dun

Hi Guys,
Well, I once again made it through a weekend and am on Day 5. I am leaving for a 5 day music festival on Thursday morning and have promised my wife that I will go as we desperately need the vacation from life. With that said, last night I was sitting around with her and my dad and said 'you know what, I better just accept that I'm going to drink at this festival and I might as well just have a beer tonight.' Stupid....I had already decided I wouldn't drink at this festival and was using a festival that is still a few days away as an excuse to drink a cold one in the meantime...who does that!?!?! haha. Anyway, I sat in my chair last night for a few minutes and the craving passed and I grabbed a coke instead of a beer. My wife said just because you want to drink at the festival doesn't mean you should drink the whole week beforehand...yes she is a 'normie.'

Anyway, I have absolutely got to get a plan together in order to not partake in the drinking this weekend or I will fail. Now, here's the good thing about the festival...they have an AA camp set up at this festival and hold AA meetings every morning and afternoon of the festival. This is my only chance for making it through the 5 days and the first thing in my plan is to check in and meet the people in this camp within hours of arriving. Eck, can you tell I'm stressed about this? I know in my heart that I can have a good time and not drink and feel blessed that this group of non-drinking festival goers exists. I know many on here would say "Absolutely do not go to such an event so early in sobriety." But I am going and that decision has been made. Any suggestions on things to add to my plan would be appreciated. Thanks and here's to another day of no drinking.

ScottFromWI 05-20-2013 09:20 AM

I would look at it rather simply. This is a music festival, not a drinking festival. While many people do drink at them, many also do not. You get cravings at home as well, so you just have to figure out a way to avoid them. How about this for a start - enjoy the music!

RiverFriend 05-20-2013 09:25 AM

Thanks Scott - yes a good reminder indeed. Especially seeing as both my wife and I are musicians and alcohol has never helped or strengthened my music. You're right, it's not a drinking festival.

hypochondriac 05-20-2013 12:35 PM

Wow, AA at a festival, genius. I was gearing up to say don't go but it sounds like you have a plan. In a way it is a good thing to go away and do something different as change can help break habits. If you have a smartphone you could always check in here regularly too. Let us know how you get on x

Anna 05-20-2013 12:43 PM

Well, I know you don't want to hear it, but I wouldn't go.

It sounds far too stressful for me to have managed in early recovery.

I hope that you manage to get through the 5 days.

LDT 05-20-2013 12:58 PM

I am not early in sobriety. I'm also a musician...a few short weeks ago I went to a music festival in New Orleans, La. ( the Jazz and Heritage Festival ..... It's huge). I had a blast being sober for the whole thing......BUT, even with many sober months, and many music festivals under my belt.... I still had to start planning way in advance for the " what ifs" should they occur. I had solid a solid "Plan-B" in place. However, I must tell you I could not have done that at day 5..... Maybe not even at day 55. It's encouraging they have AA there. (I'm not in AA, by the way). I'll just leave you with this thought....... You absolutely do NOT have to drink at the festival to have a good time. I outlasted all our friends that were drinking. I thoroughly enjoyed all the music. I danced until I dropped. I was ready to rock and roll the next day, while my friends just wanted to hang around the house.

Good luck, stay strong! ( p.s.....alcohol never helped my music either ).

RiverFriend 05-20-2013 01:54 PM

Thanks you guys.....Hypo I have a smartphone but not sure if I'll have reception as the fest is in the mountains but will certainly check in if I do. Anna, I totally hear you and think this is why I'm really nervous about the whole thing....and I know in reality I do not have to go but have promised my wife and quite honestly we need the break right now. And LDT thank you for your words and reminder of how a good time is possible at these events without drinking. They offer AA meetings at the amphitheater every morning at 8 a.m. and another afternoon meeting. We will also have our 10 month old there and I think I'm going to really focus on more bonding time with him...something that never happens when I'm drinking. A lot of good hikes and tons of nondrinking activities are set up throughout the weekend. Still nervous as hell but have to go into this with the decision not to drink and a Plan A, B, C, D, E....whatever it takes to stay strong. I know morning sunrises with coffee, smell of breakfast, etc. beats a hot day spent hungover in an RV any day. I really want to focus on my family, nature, music and positives of not drinking. The AA meetings and sober camp will certainly be a great crutch. Thanks again.

2granddaughters 05-20-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by RiverFriend (Post 3975295)
Hi Guys,
Well, I once again made it through a weekend and am on Day 5. I am leaving for a 5 day music festival on Thursday morning and have promised my wife that I will go as we desperately need the vacation from life. With that said, last night I was sitting around with her and my dad and said 'you know what, I better just accept that I'm going to drink at this festival and I might as well just have a beer tonight.' Stupid....I had already decided I wouldn't drink at this festival and was using a festival that is still a few days away as an excuse to drink a cold one in the meantime...who does that!?!?! haha. Anyway, I sat in my chair last night for a few minutes and the craving passed and I grabbed a coke instead of a beer. My wife said just because you want to drink at the festival doesn't mean you should drink the whole week beforehand...yes she is a 'normie.'

Anyway, I have absolutely got to get a plan together in order to not partake in the drinking this weekend or I will fail. Now, here's the good thing about the festival...they have an AA camp set up at this festival and hold AA meetings every morning and afternoon of the festival. This is my only chance for making it through the 5 days and the first thing in my plan is to check in and meet the people in this camp within hours of arriving. Eck, can you tell I'm stressed about this? I know in my heart that I can have a good time and not drink and feel blessed that this group of non-drinking festival goers exists. I know many on here would say "Absolutely do not go to such an event so early in sobriety." But I am going and that decision has been made. Any suggestions on things to add to my plan would be appreciated. Thanks and here's to another day of no drinking.

Just make sure you have a "Plan B" in case Plan A goes south. Don't be/feel trapped there. Have an OUT in place if needed.

All the best.

Bob R

Spinach 05-20-2013 02:54 PM

Good luck, I certainly wouldn't have been able, but then it took me 30 years to give up and it was only when I had no choice and I'd tried and failed so often with all the misery that that brings!
Have a fantastic time remember H A L T.
Whatever happens keep on here. It got me through, and remember never give up giving up.
John.