SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day One (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/295273-day-one.html)

gettinglifeback 05-20-2013 08:03 AM

Day One

Day one, here we go! I have got make this change as I feel my life is spiraling out of control. I am just coming off a weekend bender and have been suffering panic attacks for the last 8 or so hours. I never EVER want to wake up feeling this way again

jkb 05-20-2013 08:05 AM

Hi Getting-
I used to hate those damn panic attacks in the mornings. Horrible. Remember them and use the memory later to NEVER have to go through another day one...jkb

duane1 05-20-2013 08:12 AM

I was just starting to get panic attacks when I quit. History? Do you have a plan?

gettinglifeback 05-20-2013 08:25 AM

No real plans as of yet, just know something’s got to give cause nothing good is going to come the way I have been living. I know this is going to be such a challenge for me because alcohol surrounds me every day, everywhere I go, everyone I know; really I feel that it is all anyone does anymore. I am a binge drinker, and after one or two I lose all control! I have been drinking pretty hard ( 6-12 pack 4 nights out of the week) for the last year and a half or so. The last couple months or so the anxiety and panic attacks that I experience the next morning have become absolutely unbearable. I feel like I have lost all sense of control, I wake up hating myself having no recollection of anything from the night before

duane1 05-20-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by gettinglifeback (Post 3975218)
alcohol surrounds me every day, everywhere I go, everyone I know; really I feel that it is all anyone does anymore.

It always seems that way, but it isn't true. There are avenues in your life where you could meet people who don't drink, but drinkers hang out with other drinkers. I drank heavily for 20 years. Every celebration involved drinking. Every social event did too. Now I don't drink and realize most people don't heavily drink. That was just my perception of things while I drank.

ElegantlyWasted 05-20-2013 09:13 AM

Welcome GLB! You're in good company here. Got a plan yet? I'm on day 26 and those first couple weeks were a little brutal, at least for me. If you have any question or want some advice or just want to hang out this is a great place. People are great here and get it.

gettinglifeback 05-20-2013 10:04 AM

I hope so! My next door neighbor/best friend love sitting outdoors and drinking together, my husband also really enjoys a beer when he gets home from work. Getting past the temptations will for surely be the trickiest part for me

gettinglifeback 05-20-2013 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted (Post 3975292)
Welcome GLB! You're in good company here. Got a plan yet? I'm on day 26 and those first couple weeks were a little brutal, at least for me. If you have any question or want some advice or just want to hang out this is a great place. People are great here and get it.

My biggest plan as of right now is asking my husband, friends & family to support me in my decision to give it up all together, I need support. I have attempted this in the past and it has always failed, because no one thinks I have a real problem, there have been times where I have even been pushed into drinking again :gaah Not this time tho, I just cannot go on this way any longer. I have three precious kiddies to care for and they need all of me, not just part of me. The worst feeling was throwing up this morning and having my baby girl rubbing my back telling me that I would be ok.

ElegantlyWasted 05-20-2013 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by gettinglifeback (Post 3975359)
My biggest plan as of right now is asking my husband, friends & family to support me in my decision to give it up all together, I need support. I have attempted this in the past and it has always failed, because no one thinks I have a real problem, there have been times where I have even been pushed into drinking again :gaah Not this time tho, I just cannot go on this way any longer. I have three precious kiddies to care for and they need all of me, not just part of me. The worst feeling was throwing up this morning and having my baby girl rubbing my back telling me that I would be ok.

I know where you're coming from. I've found the support of others and the people here at SR are a key part of what makes it work for me. I'm living with a GF who probably should not drink as well and its kinda tough, but workable.

2granddaughters 05-20-2013 10:47 AM

I found my support as well as direction & strength in AA.

I wish you the best.

Bob R